Clone a template backlog with stories/tasks & subtasks into a newly created project

Vince March 22, 2023

HI,

Because all of our Portal projects start with the same list of tickets, I've decided to create a template (Software Project) for our projects. This template consists of 3 releases/versions, 4 EPIC's and 33 issues with Subtasks.

I am looking for a way how to easily add this template to new JIRA projects that we create. Because this will save me loads of work recreating all these tasks with every new project. Is there an easy way to do this?

I am not searching for an app that helps me clone my project, I would love a solution that works with JIRA on its own.

I've already thought about an automation that clones the tickets from the Template project when an EPIC is created with a certain name. But I don't really know what would be the best solution for this.

The template project is called TEMPLATE

Please help me out! 

1 answer

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

If I understand correctly, you create a new project using the Template project as the base. This gives you a standard pattern (schemes) for each new project. Then you want to create a set of standard issues that "pre-populate" the new project.

If that is the case, I would use a CSV file and do a bulk import after you create the project. It is a much easier solution to implement and maintain than creating an automation. You can define all of the Epics, Tasks and Sub-Tasks in a single CSV file. Maintaining this file will be much easier than trying to go through an automation.

Vince March 23, 2023

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your reply.

For some reason, it is very hard to import a CSV file when I create a new project. 
Most of the times I lose my epic' and subtaks, and it is not possible to map the values. Is there an easy way to do this?

Like Werner Richtsfeld likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events