Clockwork - Timesheet - Breakdown by "Status"?

Miroslav Stopka February 24, 2022

Hi,

Im trying to create Clockwork Timesheet. I am able to filter data by Users or Projects, I am able to breakdown results by Projects or Issues. Thats perfect. But I need to breakdown the result by "Status" of filtered ISSUES. Breakdown by Custom Fields does not contain this option. How can I manage this action? Am I able to add new custom Field? How? Where?

Thank you 

2 answers

0 votes
Guillermo Ermel April 24, 2023

So "Current status" actually means the time it WAS in that status?

Guillermo Ermel April 26, 2023

Unluckily, I found that the answer is that the breakdown is actually by CURRENT status. While some people may find this useful, I our case it means we have to resort to other tools.

Clockwork DOES have the status and time spent in each status, which is an absolute essential to understand at what point in a process we need to create improvements, but then there's no report that includes such information. It seems a breakdown by status would be an useful addition for this, but now by CURRENT status, but by the status in which the time was logged for.

This corresponds to first option in the Feb 24, 2022 response by the Hero Coder :-)

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 18.44.50.png

Guillermo Ermel April 27, 2023

Hey! @Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders]  please take a look here

Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] April 28, 2023

Hello @Guillermo Ermel,

I confirm what you're writing here. **Currently** Clockwork app does provide Timesheet breakdown (report?) by **current** status only. As per other thread in the post here: it was magnitude easier to add it into product compared to the...

> you want to see how much time was reported on issues **when** they were in the "READY TO CLOSE" status (so: exclude time reported when issue was in i.e. "IN PROGRESS" status) 

...case. However, providing ability in Clockwork reports to breakdown by the "was-in-status" would be an useful addition and is something we still have on our radar. Just not the top priority.

If you want to talk this over I can bring this to attention of our Product Manager - I'm not sure if you're our customer or you're just randomly searching for specific solutions in Atlassian community, but I guess both parties might benefit from having such conversation.

Cheers,
Piotr

P.S.
Nice 🦄 purple unicorn in your Linkedin profile. I'm considering stealing the idea.

Robin Milam August 15, 2023

Hi @Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] ,

I am a Clockwork Pro user and our financial department needs a breakdown of worklogs by user by status and I cannot seem to find that anywhere, but I have found a lot of people looking for it. If that could be bumped higher in priority it would be a huge help and time saver.

Have a great day!

Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] August 16, 2023

Sure Robin, I'll pass your feedback to our development team.

One of the things I've learned from my colleagues since my last reply here, is that - if you're desperate - you could theoretically exploit Jira's native automation + Clockwork's worklog attributes to partially achieve what you want.

The gist of the solution is that you would have to setup Jira automation that would react to worklog creation event and in response update that worklog's specific property to its issue current status. That property would be configured in Clockwork to be one of its worklog attributes (say, "was-in-status" attribute). That way your financial department could breakdown by "was-in-status" attribute in Clockwork interface. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy way for retro-filling the "was-in-status" for your historical worklogs - only for future ones.

Still, if this is something you would like to explore, I encourage you to contact our support engineers. They'll help you - they have pretty vast expertise in building such automations for Clockwork customers.

Cheers,
Piotr

Like Robin Milam likes this
0 votes
Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] February 24, 2022

Hello Miroslav,

Thanks for using our addon. Currently Clockwork is not capable of breaking down by "Status" field. I think the best workaround would be to create a custom field (of type simple text) and use some automation/bulk edit to populate that custom field with the "stringified" name of status. That way you could use Timesheet and breakdown the results by "my mirror status custom field".

Care to describe what are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another way...

Cheers,
Piotr Stefaniak
HeroCoders developer

I have to consider the solution with new custom simple text field - but I dont want to create new field just for Clockwork purposes. 

Basically, we have status "READY TO CLOSE" and many more. And Im trying to create timesheets with breakdown - time on issues with READY TO CLOSE status and time on others issues.

Just to doublecheck I fully understand you:

* you want to see how much time was reported on issues **when** they were in the "READY TO CLOSE" status (so: exclude time reported when issue was in i.e. "IN PROGRESS" status) 

* you want to see how much time (i.e. by average) issues were staying in "READY TO CLOSE" status before someone transited them (logging work has nothing to do with that)

* you want to see how much time was reported in total for the issues that **currently** are in the "READY TO CLOSE" status

Which assumption is the correct one?

* you want to see how much time was reported in total (for specified time range of course) for the issues that **currently** are in the "READY TO CLOSE" status

This is the correct one

Hello Miroslav,

I've checked that this specific breakdown would be quite easy to add into the product. I'm optimistically expecting the required changes to hit production tomorrow (Friday) - I'll ping you up when it is ready for you to play with.

Cheers,
Piotr

Miroslav Stopka February 25, 2022

Hi Piotr,

wow, Thank you, I`ll wait

I appreciate your help

Miroslav

Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] February 25, 2022

Hello Miroslav,

The change is ready on production. You can now select "current status" from the breakdown drop-list. Please confirm if that's what you've asked for.

Have a great weekend,
Cheers,
Piotr

Suggest an answer