Clear Assignee post-function doesn't work with default assignee

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 5, 2022

We have the following issue: our project has a Default Assignee option set to 'Project Lead' (or to Component Leads, but even without components I see the same problem).

And then for some issue types (sub-tasks, for example), we would like to remove Assignee.

I put 'Clear Field Value' post-function for the Create transition and clear the Assignee field there. But it just does nothing. Any new issue is always assigned to the project lead after creation.

I have tried to change the position of the post-function, even putting it as the latest in the list. No results.

Does anybody know why? I have found one way to fix it with Automation, but I would like to do it without any Automation rules.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

Hi @Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich 

If you have an app, like JMWE, you can use a PF with a delay of e.g. 500ms. This means that the PF will run after Jira finishes with its automations. Jira automation used to be an app, and the automation rules run after the native automations. That's why your solution it's working with Jira Automation.

Thanks, @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

I expected something like this for Automation rules. But it is interesting why the PF doesn't work in this situation as I expect that the following 'Creates the issue originally' should be finished (including the default assign) BEFORE the next PF is executed.

screenshot.jpg

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

It doesn't work because it run async. If that was going to work, I would place the PF after the "FIre Issue Created" event:

• The issue is created
  • It fires an event
  • Jira listeners capture this event
  • Jira sets default assignee
  • The value of the assignee is cleared

Try that and let me know if that works. :/ 

I tried it from the very beginning ;-) No result

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

Another solution would be to:

• Create a self transition (called e.g. clear assignee) on the first status after "on create" transition
  • On that transition add the PFs
    • Hide transition from user
    • Clear assignee field
  • On the "on create" transition add a PF
    • Transition the issue on the "clear assignee" transition

So basically what you do is, after the on create transition and after Jira has placed the default assignee, you call another transition (while staying on the same status) which clears out the assignee.

Hope the above helps!

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 6, 2022

Thanks, @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

It seems like a great solution. But I am afraid that the "transition the issue" post-function is not standard, as I don't see it in the list of available functions. But I could find one in JMWE app. Have you meant this one?

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

Yeah.. it seems that there is no native PF for transitioning an issue. You could always use automation to transition the issue :/

JMWE, JWT, scriptrunner, JSU all of these apps have these PFs. You can always install one and try it out and if you don't like it, unistall it without charge.

Alexey _knari_ Gerasimovich September 6, 2022

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events