Chrome bug? I can't type in any text box

Seth Ammons May 15, 2018

Yesterday, things were fine. Today, not so much. If I click on our jira board on a text box (like in the edit ticket screen), nothing happens. The text box wont gain focus and gain a cursor. I can't type into any text area that supports rich text apparently. I can use the search box or create an issue and fill in fields, but I can't type in the text area boxes.

I've disabled all my extensions, logged out, restarted, and refreshed. I'm not sure what to attempt next. 

Chrome Version 66.0.3359.170 (Official Build) (64-bit)

MacOS 10.12.6

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Hilsden November 22, 2018

We've had similar issues reported to us, but with Confluence instead. This may be worth a try (I know it's late!)

In Chrome > DevTools > Application > Local Storage > right click on Confluence/Jira & 'clear'.

Reopen the browser, see if this helps.

Seth Ammons February 13, 2019

Months later, this issue happened again to me. Your solution worked great. How could local storage affect the UI as to become unusable for entering text areas? *shakes head*

Like Ben Hilsden likes this
Ben Hilsden February 22, 2019

Glad I could help. I have absolutely no idea, not really looked into it further. At a guess, I would say cached information reaching its size limit for that particular application. Never known this to be an issue with other applications, so suspect it's something for Atlassian to look into. 

0 votes
Magdalena Steinacker February 9, 2021

I'm having the same problem. As soon as I want to edit a ticket or create a new one - the wysiwyg editor opens - and I start typing, my cursor turns into loading mode - sometime after an error message appears, saying

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 11.06.17.png

I tried clearing the local storage of jira - did not work

I tried switching visual editor to textual - did not work

I am using chrome browser on macOS BigSur - does anyone know another fix?

0 votes
louisdj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2018

Can you check if you notice any errors in the Developer Console of Google Chrome?

Is it Jira Server or Cloud?

Seth Ammons May 15, 2018

Nothing sticks out. There was one error, but the same error does not show up in other "views" where I still can't type in to the textarea.

However! I found a fix. My textareas were on "Visual" as opposed to "Text" and by switching to "Text", I can now type again. If I have type in the box and click "Visual" again, it empties everything and I can no longer use the textarea.

So the fix is "Text" mode. 

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

Im not familiar with a "Text" mode. This sounds like a Chrome extension ....which may explain why only part of your user base is encountering the issue stated above. 

Jim Strange February 12, 2020

That's not a fix, it's a work-around for a bug which remains unsolved.

0 votes
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2018

I would try other browsers. 

I tested Chrome on my own Mac (same versions) and had no issues. So it looks to be specific to you. 

Seth Ammons May 15, 2018

Firefox worked, but sucks to have a separate browser open. I asked around at work, and apparently 5 or so people have reported this internally recently. 

Dan Moran
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

@Shawn Masters@Seth Ammons and I work at the same company, where I'm the Jira system owner. Several other employees here have reported the same issue, but it's definitely not affecting all our Jira users. Has anyone here heard of a Chrome-specific bug?

Suggest an answer