Choosing multiple components when creating a task

Stefan January 3, 2020

Hi,

we created more than 50 components in Jira server. When we create a task we often need to select 5, 6, or more components. This process is a bit annoying. We need to open the components list box, scroll down to "show all"- > the listbox positions at line 1 again, we need to scroll down again and choose the component. This whole process need to be fully repeated for every component we want to add. If you have done this 6 or more times for every task you get annoyed if you have to create 10 or more new tasks.

Is there a better / easier way to add multiple components to a task (or subtask / bug)?

Suggestion: A listbox with the possibility to select multiple components at one would be really nice here!

Regards
Stefan

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2020

Hey @Stefan , component is a renderable field. You can configure it as a select list renderer instead of autocomplete renderer (default). You can update it through your field configuration by selecting renderers and change it to select list.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 1.15.39 PM.png

Cheers,

Ivan.

Stefan January 6, 2020

Hi Ivan,

thanks for your answer. I created my own field configuration scheme, added my own field configuration, changed the renderer for components -> and it worked fine :)

Thanks!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

Hi Stefan,

Are you creating similar enough tasks often enough to justify perhaps creating a template issue to clone (just be sure to remove the clone issue links afterwards), or potentially using some automation? (i.e. if issue has x in title then add x components post creation)

A 3rd workaround, again if there are commanalities between at least some of the issues, could be to use bulk edit after you've created the issues to select multiple ones and add components to each of them. Again, not ideal but perhaps a little quicker.

- Alex 

Stefan January 3, 2020

Hi Alex,

thanks for your suggestions.

A template won't fit, the components selection is in most cases too different.
An automation that is running afterwards might be able to add some components, but might also add the wrong components too (it is not trivial to choose the correct components for the current task).
Bulk edit might help a bit, but really only a little bit.

Like Alex Laycy likes this

Suggest an answer