Child issues drop down empty in next gen project

Ben Langridge September 18, 2019

Hi,

I've created a next gen project based on Kanban.

I've enabled Backlog in the project settings.

I've created a bunch of issues.

I now want to make one of the issues a child issue of an existing issue.

I open the parent issue, and click Add a child issue > choose an existing issue.  The search/drop down box appears but is empty.  Anything I type doesn't match to any issue, whether i type the issue number or something from its summary.

Is there another feature I need to enable in the project settings to make this work?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Hello Ben,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In order to make an issue as a child of another, that issue must be a sub-task. You can create sub-tasks by clicking on the icon as displayed in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 18.31.03.png

Now, if you want to add an existing issue as a sub-task of another one, you must first change it to be a sub-task issue type. to do it, you can follow the steps below:

1 - Navigate to the issue you want to add as the sub-task of another > Click on ... > Move:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 18.31.30.png

2 - Move the issue to the same project it is, but changing its issue type to subtask and adding the parent you want:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 18.31.41.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Ben Langridge September 20, 2019

Thank you - this does indeed help and I now get how this works!

I've undone it, as actually it makes it harder to work with.  I was kind of hoping the child issues would still be visible on the backlog and in boards rather than having to click on the parent to see them!

It's also confusing the use of the term issue to cover multiple types of issue - particularly when they are not all equal.  Surely the "Choose existing issue" should say "Choose existing sub-task" - then there is no confusion!

Also, its really unclear why its even called a sub-task.  To create a sub-task I click add a Child Issue!?

Is this a hang up from the old Jira and part of the pain of moving to new terminology?  Are sub-tasks going to be known as child issues in the future?

Like # people like this
Rachael Burger June 22, 2020

#1 -- this is a very unintuitive solution, but it does work. the tasks should be available (as represented) in "add child issue" menu. 

#2 -- i also "undid" the solution because the cards are only viewable under the parent. 

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Hi Ben,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I tested on my local environment and even disabling all features for the next-gen projects, I'm still able to search for issues, so if you didn't enable some feature, it shouldn't affect:

Screenshot 2019-09-19_16-53-38-437.png

Have you tried to link to a parent directly from the child? Please, open the child, click on … > Add parent? Does it work?

Also, please test using another browser or incognito just to confirm that there is no extension blocking.

If possible, open the developer tools while trying to add a child issue just to check if it shows any error.

Regards,
Angélica

IngmarClarysse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2020

That's likely because you have an epic selected which allows all other types of issue's as childs.

Suggest an answer