Check if issue contains attachments when transition

Suzanne Cranfield May 17, 2023

I am setting up Issue Checklist Pro with my projects and while setting up the checklists I also want to automatically check if attachments have been saved in an issue when transitioning from one status to another? 

I want the transition to fail if attachments are not present in the ticket and the user to get a message so that they attach files. 

If that is possible I would also then like to check the filenames - I am expecting files to be attached that follow a certain naming convention so want to be able to search for certain text within the file name. I am thing some sort of look up table might work for this. 

I just dont know where to start. 
Had tried validation on the workflow but that did not work. 

Not sure if there is a way using automation. 

Bear in mind I am not a software developer... 

Thanks

Suzanne

1 answer

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Suzanne Cranfield , thanks for your question.

You should be able to use a validator to prevent the transition if there is no attachment.

The validator I would use is this one -

image.png

It doesn't explicitly say you are checking for attachments but you will note in the field attachment is available in the options -

image.png

Here, you can also specify a message for when someone tries to execute this transition without an attachment.

image.png

You could also create a specific screen for this transition so that you generate a pop-up which shows more clearly what you need to do in order to complete the transition, but this solution should also work as you anyway get the feedback that the attachment is missing.

For the screen solution, you can just create a screen with the fields on it you want people to fill in before allowing them to do the transition and then here, click on Edit

image.png

and choose the screen you just made -

image.png

When I go back to the issue and try the transition, and then in the screen, I don't attach something, you can see it is more clear what I need to do to pass this -

image.png

Anyway, I hope this helps you. If you have any follow up questions, please write here and either I or someone else will try to assist.

Cheers

Suzanne Cranfield May 24, 2023

Hi Valerie, 

I had actually already tried the set ups that you suggested here. 

They work to an extent...

If there are no attachments in the issue then the validation works. 
If however, if there is an attachment already added prior to the transition then it fails. 
It asks me to attach something and then I cannot go further. 
Technically the validation should see that an attachment exists so it should not ask me to add anything. 

Any ideas? 
Thanks 
Suzanne

Vincenzo Campanale
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 21, 2023

@Suzanne Cranfield have you found a solution to your question? Thanks, Vincenzo

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2023

Hi @Suzanne Cranfield , thanks for your feedback. This, as far as what I have implemented, is what is possible to achieve with the Jira functionality out-of-the-box. With apps for scripting or to extend the functionality of the workflows, you can do more but this also comes with a cost. If you like, I can recommend some apps I have used before with sucess and you can test them out and see if they help you get to where you want to be. Let me know.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events