Changing the Issue Type of an Existing Issue

Dan Gorman August 12, 2014

I'm trying to figure out how and when Jira allows users to change the "Issue Type" in the Edit screen of an existing issue - I'd like to avoid having to "move" the issue. From what I've discovered, if I want to switch from issue type A to issue type B, they both need to have the same field configuration AND workflow. For me, the issue types in question do have the same workflow, so that's all set. However, they do not have the same field configurations.

That said, the initial (before) issue type is very basic and only has Summary and Description fields, so I was hoping I could convert it into any other issue type which has those fields. Instead, I'm finding that I need to actually go through the process of moving the issue, rather than just editing the issue type field.

Is there anything I may be missing? Is there an easier way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2014

You have to have the SAME field configuration and workflows, then you can just change the issue type.

If there is the slightest difference, you can't edit and MUST move them.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

The only way I'm aware of to change the issue type is to move the issue.

Suggest an answer