Changing issues status to the same value triggers notifications

When you are on an issue that has a Status of "To Do", in a Workflow that allows all transitions to the status "To Do", you have a button to "transition the current issue to the 'To Do' status".

This triggers an activity on the issue with the text as

XXX made changes - 4 minutes ago
Status To Do [ 10000 ]      To Do [ 10000 ]

This activity also triggers the email notification.

Why is it possible to transition an issue from a status to the same status? Is this not a bug?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

No, it's called a global transition (marked as -->ALL in your workflow). Since it most probably triggers the Generic event in the workflow post-function you receive emails.

You are probably using a simplified workflow, designed for Agile boards. If you are on a board you can't transition issues to to same status they are in. To prevent this you could manually configura the transition (e.g. condition / not out of the box and you end up with a workflow that is NOT simplified anymore) or change the notification scheme .

Cheers

Christian

But why would one want to transition an issue from its current status to the same status?

Many reasons smile To restrict the editing of certain fields to only a specific project role (using conditions and a specific screen on the transition) , scripted calculations (using post-functions), setting field values / flags (post-function)... Cheers

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 8 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

21 views 0 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you