Changing database server name only

Matt Bunch September 10, 2013

I have used the JIRA Configuration Tool to change the Database Hostname.

The database is exactly the same database as before, running onthe same server, however IT have asked me to use a new DNS alias for the machine. The Test Connection button on the JIRA Configuration Tool tells me that the connection is successful, but afer restarting the JIRA service, on attempting to access Jira via my browser I am met with a JIRA Setup page (Step 2 of 4: Application properties).

I do not wish to re-setup Jira. I wish to continue with everything as it was. I have an option of entering my licence key, but do not know whether this is safe to do (will I lose any data?). I have an option of importing existing data, but as I was not intending on re-installing I did not export data beforehand (I do have an export from earlier in the day but do not wish to use this) .

How do I safely continue to use JIRA with my existing database and existing settings?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Bunch September 16, 2013

To fix this, in the end I bit the bullet and went through the process to import existing data. I took a backup of the SQL database before thinking I could try restoring it over the top afterwards, but once the server was back up, we wtill had data that was more recent than the backup, so it seems this really is an "import", and not an overwrite.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013
Stop Jira and have a look in its home directory. There should be a file called dbconfig.XML . See if the old database location is still in it and change it if it is. Then start Jira again. (I may be wrong here, but the last time I did that, it worked perfectly, no need to even redo the setup)
0 votes
Matt Bunch September 10, 2013

Thanks for the very fast response, but unfortunately that doesn't fix the problem - dbconfig.xml already has the new name in it (I assume that all the config tool did is update this file).

Possibly worth noting that for now the old server name is still valid (it will be retired in a couple of weeks). However even if I change back to the old name, I have the same problem.

Suggest an answer