Changing Default Priority Values

Jim McDonagh March 18, 2019

Hi there, 

Big project to manage, i'm not a fan of 1-3 priority value schemes as I don't like competing priorities. Is there a guide to change the default value scheme (1-3) to say 1-100 or 1-1000 please? This is for the purpose of managing tasks as opposed to fixing bugs to give further context. Any advice much appreciated. Cheers!

2 answers

0 votes
sjamisorc February 7, 2020

@Jim McDonagh This isn't an answer but I was wondering if or how you solved this use case?  I'm interested in the solution you came up with for ranking.

Thanks

-Shawn J>

jim.mcdonagh February 7, 2020

in the end Shawn, we use a system whereby all epics in Jira are stack ranked top to bottom and in parentheses, we put the priority so it's always clear as to what the most important work is that needs doing. e.g.

- Game DB Integration (100)

- Server deployment (95)

- New Feature 1 (90)

- New Feature 2 (85)

etc etc. 

Hope that helps!

Like sjamisorc likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2019

@Jim McDonagh , I'm a bit confused. So my priorities are Highest, High, Medium, Low, Lowest. I am assuming that your admin has change the priorities to 1,2,3? In any event, are you thinking of listing "priorities" as 1, 2, 3...100/1000? I can't imagine that is sustainable. Generally priorities reflect importance/impact of an issue which certainly can be done in only a handful of values. Are you possibly thinking of using priorities for ranking? I doubt that is the case as it simply would not work. Can you elaborate a bit on your request?

Jim McDonagh March 19, 2019

thanks for the reply Jack, we have 100+ items of work to get through that have been prioritised using a scale of 1-100 (100 being the most important). This prevents us having 20x priority 1, 50x priority 2's and 30x priority 3 tasks with people getting confused about which number 1 priority is actually the most important number 1 priority. I should also add this is for the purpose of prioritising epic stories so we rarely have 100 of those. 

I use ABC for bug tracking but for workflow I prefer a larger scale for reasons mentioned above. 

It's absolutely sustainable and I've used it in video games for the last 20 years to great success. As a handy tip should you try this method, start with increments of 5, then if say something is higher priority than 95 or less than 100, you have sufficient room to slot it in there. 

How we prioritise is a whole different matter for another time, I simply want to configure the JIra settings to allow this (I am looking at custom fields, which will be laborious but may do the trick)

Cheers!

Jim

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

Jim, thanks for the details. I prefer using the Ranking feature in Jira for ordering my backlog. Simple drag and drop re-ranks things. I quess an option would be a custom numbered field in your case. Good luck!

Like Jim McDonagh likes this

Suggest an answer