Changing Cloud Jira's Landing Page From Dashboards to Projects?

Marc Monnar July 24, 2019

Hey Everyone!

Have never seen this before and have looked all around on where to change the setting. On my personal Cloud instance of Jira (and every other Cloud and on-prem instance I've setup), the main landing page when navigating to the Jira instance, is always Dashboards. If you don't have a favorite dashboard, it shows the Systems Dashboard, but either way the section is Dashboards. (Example1.png)

For this company I'm at currently, their default is somehow set to Projects. (Example2.png) Even if you click on Dashboards on the left section, Dashboards is still listed under Projects. Another observation is that for my personal Jira Cloud, the System dashboard is named "System dashboard" (I didn't even know you could change this for the System dashboard...?) but for this company's System dashboard, it is named "Default dashboard".

Anyone ever run into anything like this?

All I can think of is that someone tried to copy the System dashboard and named it "Default dashboard" and then they deleted the System dashboard (if that's possible, which I don't believe it is...?) and now Jira resorts to saying the Default dashboard is the System dashboard, but since it doesn't see the "original" Systems dashboard, it also then sets the sidebar/home page landing default to Projects instead of Dashboards.... Far fetched guess.

-Marc

Example2.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Monnar July 30, 2019

Got a technician (Thanks Gabriel!) to confirm with the dev team. Newer cloud instances (this one was made back in May 2019) have Projects set to the default instead of Dashboards and it's something the dev team will be switching back in later updates apparently. That explains why all of the instances I've setup in the past are fine and this other one is not. 

Stay tuned for the update and it'll revert to normal apparently! Thanks Atlassian!

Stephanie Costa August 3, 2019

@Marc Monnar, I was about to report this as a bug. I can't roll Jira out to our team without Dashboards being the default. Do you have a ticket # I can watch? And - I realize this isn't your fault, but I find it appalling this change was made. The implications are unflattering.

Marc Monnar August 4, 2019

Agreed, having it be projects is pretty bad. Didn't create a bug or anything, created a ticket to technical support. JST-496477 but I don't believe you can watch that. Maybe reference it when creating the bug? Feel free to link it here and I'll upvote it as well!

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hi Marc,

It's possible to change the product landing page but not the page within the product.

Check out the KB article for the avaliable product landing page change covered in "Set your site's landing product", and for changing the default page within Jira make sure to add a vote to the following feature request to add in this functionality, and feel free to add feedback on what you would like to see in the feature as covered in the "Implementation of New Features Policy":

Regards,
Earl

Marc Monnar July 26, 2019

Hey Earl,

Thanks for the input! Sorry if I was unclear though but I was saying that somehow, someone did on the company Jira and I'm trying to undo it. Thanks!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer