Change the ID of workflow transition

Hi,

Is it possible to change the id of a workflow transition ?

When I create a transition it automatically gets an id based on a number ( 1,11,21 ...). The numbers used are the same in each workflow, so the ID for a transition is not unique, but will be the sane for different projects using different workflows. So the transition open can have an id of action_id_11 in one project and action_id_21 in another.

Can this be changed ? Perhaps using the workflow XML file ?

Thanks,

Alon

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Yes, you can export a workflow, change the IDs of transitions and re-import it. Not sure that there is any useful benefit in doing it, but it can be done.

Worked great using the XML export import.

The motivation is because in one project I'm using CSS to highlight specific transition buttons. I don't want them to be highlighted in projects using different workflow.

Thanks.

Ah, good.

I'd be trying to use something other than the ID, as it really is effectively a random number, but this works, and I'm an engineer (so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is instinctive)

I'll be happy to hear if you have an idea how to do this in a better way.

For now I have added css to the announcement banner:
<!-- #action_id_181 {background: #FFEE33;} -->

I can't say I like the solution, but it works.

Do we have to actually do this thing?Doesnt JIRA allow you to customize the Key name?

What do you mean by "key name"? The label of the transition (the "name" the users see) is editable in the UI.

Jayashree Shetty, I assume means change Transitions (id).

Please, let me know, if I could change it by another way without Administrator rights.

No, you have to be an admin to change workflows (and this changing of IDs is pointless too)

Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Ok, what is more suitable from your point of view?

More suitable than what?

a good reason for doing this in my case: we are calling the RES API to transition issues. The api needs the transition id's

We have a test and a production environment of JIRA. You can imagine having the same transition id's in both environments is much more convenient

Mmm, testing stuff that isn't like production doesn't sound that useful.  And if you're testing stuff to go into production, well, it's going to change anyway.

Nic Brough [Adaptavist], I just mean why do you think  that changing of IDs is pointless too?

My last goal - just make more comfortable using of JIRA (by reducing qty of clicks).

Because there's no use for it.  As described above. 

Well, there are some uses mentioned, but in the real world, it's easier, faster and more useful to achieve the same end goal in other ways.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

203 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you