Change tast status in jira when pull request is approved in Github

Hello , 

I m interested if there is any way to automate this task , when pull request approved in Github , change the corresponding task status in Jita , 

Can it be done with Webhook ore some kind of automation with Jenkins server ? 

Thanks

2 answers

2 votes
TonyChou June 29, 2023

I have the same issue

When User approved the Pull Reuqest (but still not merge)

I want the status of the Jira subtask switch from `Wait-For-Review` to `Done`.

TonyChou June 29, 2023

So far, there are only these operation.

Want another trigger like "Pull request Approved"

issue-devops.png

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @Levan Murusidze ლევან მურუსიძე ,

I believe Jira automation should help you with this. There are special DevOps triggers available, so if your cloud Jira software is integrated with Github, you should be able to create automation rule like this:

• WHEN: Pull request merged
  • THEN: Transition the issue to: some status.

See here for more info, section DevOps triggers.

Mauricio Prado April 25, 2023

yeah, but the PR might be approved but not yet merged. 

E.g. in our workflow the PR is first approved by developers, and then it is passed to QA. but not merged until both approved the PR. 

But if  I wanted to change the Jira ticket from `Waiting for Code Review` to `Waiting for QA`, there seems not to exist an event that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-workflow-triggers-938847513.html#Configuringworkflowtriggers-referencekeyReferencingaJiraissueinacommit,branch,pullrequest,orreview

Gayathri B August 31, 2023

I'm also looking for the same functionality. 

John Saunders September 29, 2023

I have also been waiting for this to be added for a couple years. 

You are now able to view if a PR is reviewed from JIRA since it now has a check mark if it has, so it seems to have the information for. 

We have also looked into use github actions to handle this with a on review trigger, but we have multiple teams and projects in the same repos, so decided against it since it was a lot of juggling and may effect teams that do not work in a similar workflow. BUT GA could be an option for small projects that only have 1 team on them, for anyone that stumbles on to this.

Suggest an answer