Change resolution field in issue so that it can't be changed

Steven Bostock March 26, 2015

Hi, 

Im fairly new to JIRA.  Ive created a project with custom screens and transitions and noticed that the Resolution field in an issue is able to be changed via a little drop down box however this is not normally the default behavior using out of the box JIRA project. 

It ok to be able to change the resolution in the screens ( i have added resolution to the custom screen) however just dont want it to be change directly in the issue like this.

Can someone tell me what I have done wrong here or how i can fix this?

thanks in advance

Steven

image2015-3-27 14:55:39.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2015

It seems that the resolution field is on the screen used for the edit issue operation. Remove the field from that screen and place it only in the view screen and the screens for the transition where a resolution needs to be manually set. If you set the resolution in postfunctions (and clear it again on "reopen" transitions) then you don't need it on the transition screen either.

A field that is not on the edit screen can't be edited in the issue view screen. See also:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA062/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

0 votes
Steven Bostock March 30, 2015

Hey Guys, 

Thanks so much your both correct!  I removed the resolution field from the screen i made and used another screen with the resolution field to allow the resolved state to be changed.

Steven

0 votes
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2015

I had issues with this; caused by the fact that when placed onto a screen the Resolution field is mandatory. (I consider this a flaw/bug in JIRA)

I left it off of all screens but include it in Resolve, Verify and Close (I have custom screens for all transitions).

If an issue is in the Resolved state but the Resolution must be changed then the issue has to be Reopened and Resolved again (or could be changed at one of subsequent transitions - verify or close)

Suggest an answer