Change issue type goes to Move

Fredrik Johansson August 17, 2019

If I click on the issue type and want to change it, e.g. task -> bug, then it used to just change it right away. This was very quick and easy to use.

But since about a week ago changing the issue type brings me to build move page where I have to change the type again and go through a 3-step process just to do this. It is very annoying and results in no-one changing issue types anymore.

Does anyone else have the same problem, and if so knows how to revert back to the old in-place changing?

We are using the next-gen board.

8 answers

6 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2019

Hello,

It means that either workflow or field configuration or screen configuration is not the same for bugs and tasks anymore.

Fredrik Johansson August 19, 2019

Hmmm... I am using the next-gen project (or what it is called) and there is no workflow configuration or similar. I only have a page where I can specify issue types and it looks like below. I can't really find any setting similar to what you are describing... 

Also, this just started happen out of the blue without any changes from our side to the issue settings,

Any ideas?

Untitled.png

4 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2021

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for reaching out to Community!

I would like to share some updates regarding this issue.

The question was posted in August 2019 and at that time there was a bug regarding next-gen projects and it was fixed, that why it started working for Fredrik again.

This issue started happening again and it was reported as a new bug:

Please, click on “This affects my team”, so our dev team can be aware that your site is affected by the bug and also watch to receive future updates.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Karim Kuchkarov March 22, 2021

Hello @AN 

Thank you for the clarification.

Please clarify why the task in JIRA has low priority?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2021

The priority of the bugs increases based on affected customers and currently, only 5 reported this issue.

Also, it will be based on impact, but it was already escalated internally and soon it should have an update.

For more information, please check our policy below:

I added the link to this question as an internal comment, but feel free to add a comment on the ticket where our dev team will receive a notification.

Nadzrul Nor June 15, 2021

I have this issue but classic. The issue types have the same schema, but moving from Triage to User Story causes the Move screen to be triggered, but User Story to Triage does not. T

Robbie Mahair July 30, 2021

For what it's worth, I also have this problem. Our project is quite new and I haven't done anything with configuration that I know of. I can change between any issue types, except for changing to "Task". So I can create a Task, and I can change from "Task" to "Bug", but then I can't change back to "Task" because instead this move workflow pops up.

It is quite frustrating and I don't know how to work around it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2021

This is not a "problem" in the software.  The problem is that you have configured Task and Bug to work in different ways, so when you want to change the type from one to the other, the software needs to go through a validation process to make sure the data on the issue remains valid for the new type.

Changing the issue type should be a rare event and one the humans should be thinking about.  If you're doing it a lot, you should be looking at your process and asking why people are creating issues of the wrong type.

Anyway, the short answer is just "Yes, you need to use "move" because you've got different configurations".  There's nothing else Jira can do, you need to look at your process and configuration if you don't want to have to use move.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Benjamin Smith March 2, 2022

This happened to me recently.

In my case, the problem originated from a change made to the "Field configuration" for my project.

I had made one of the fields within the scheme "Required".

Up till this point, many of the issues in our project did not have this field configured (hence why I wanted to make it required). I wanted users to start filling this in.

However, as a result of this, whenever we went to change the issue type of an older issue, Jira would see that these older tickets didn't have the required field configured. It would then force the user to go through the 'move' process in order to validate that new required field.

To get around it, I just told our users to configure that field before attempting to change the issue type.

Note, you could also make batch changes if you want to wipe out the issue all at once, but that's another matter.

0 votes
Lenny Whitehead December 12, 2021

We have the same problem since migrating to the Cloud. I first tried to solve it by Configuring the screen to have the Issue Type as a Context field but Jira Cloud doesn't allow this. 

After running a few tests then I found

- Changing from types 1 and 2 to 3 worked without invoking the Move operation

- Changes from 3 to type 1 and 2 invoked the Move Questions

Type 3 is our Technical Debt type and after comparing both the field sets and screen configs everything looked the same.

Rather than go nuts I played a bit more and for Technical Debt, Incident and Problem we have a workflow post function that asks for additional data e.g. We have 4 Incident Closure questions.

The Move operation was asking us to set those values even though we were just changing the issue type rather than moving something to Done.

So, even if all your fields and workflows are the same, if your workflow has a step that requires certain fields to be set only for certain issue types when you move it to Done then this makes Jira force you to Move the Issue only when you are moving to one of those certain issue types rather than just change the Issue Type in one click.

This isn't an answer, just the root cause. The bug would be that Jira should not be treating a change in issue type as a move to Done and triggering the workflow post function.

Thanks,

Lenny  

0 votes
[Deprecated] Nick Spreitzer October 13, 2021

If you change the issue type and Jira takes you to the "Move" wizard, pay close attention to the fields it asks you to modify during that process. Are there any "weird" fields that you don't recognize? If so, those might be your problem. In my case, I kept noticing that Jira asked me to modify a custom field that wasn't part of my project. Then I found two, rarely used custom fields that were assigned to all projects and all issues types. Since my project didn't use either of those custom fields, I think Jira was having trouble mapping the types. To fix, I went into Settings --> Issues --> Custom Fields, then searched for the name of field(s) I was prompted to edit during the "Move" wizard, then edited the custom field's context so that it no longer applied to my project. Note that only an admin can take these steps. Anyway, once I did that, the two custom fields in question no longer effected my project, Jira no longer tried to map them when changing the issue's type, and I'm no longer redirected to the "Move" wizard when changing issues types.

0 votes
Karim Kuchkarov March 21, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- it looks like you are not reading it carefully.

In all the comments here, users wrote that no one has made any changes either with the field configurations or with the workflow, and everyone has the same problem. And all the comments end up with that the problem not being resolved.

But with perseverance, you continue to repeat the same thing that we've made some changes in settings.

What does your "community leader" badge mean? does that mean you give bot answers? 

Any real people here who can solve such a problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

I have just gone back and re-tested.  It is the same, it works fine for me, when you follow what Alexey originally answered.  Although he only really answered about company-managed (classic) projects, the same principle applies to team-managed (next-gen) ones - if you configure issue types to behave differently, then they will, and you need to look at the differences.

0 votes
Christian Colding March 2, 2021

Just want to add in that this also suddenly started happening to us out of the blue. We're not using Next-Gen but Classic boards on Jira Cloud. So weird.

Karim Kuchkarov March 14, 2021

+++ same

Antoine D March 15, 2021

There is probably something with the latest update, my team told me that they have the same problem since the beginning of the month.

We can change from issue type 1 to 2 but to issue type 3 and 4, the move issue workflow is used instead of quick change.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

The issue types are configured differently, so you need to move instead of just edit.

It's not a problem or even an issue, you've set it up to such that it has to work this way.

Christian Colding March 15, 2021

That just doesn't make any sense considering it's been running fine with no issues for like 9 months (where we moved to jira) and then suddenly with no changes, this happens.

Like Karim Kuchkarov likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

It's likely that one of your admins may have changed something

Christian Colding March 15, 2021

Or a change was deployed that changed the behaviour. Not to say that it isn't a change on our side (it could be), but simply stating that it can only be something we did might be a bit too square ;)

Like # people like this
Karim Kuchkarov March 21, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- looks like you didn't even try to test the problem.

I have the same problem as described by the guys above.

I can easily change the task type from "Bug" to "Task", but vice versa "Task" to "Bug" it redirects me to this "Move" screen

Below is a screenshot with the fact that I have the same fields for both issue types and issue types are configured in the same way

1616322275505.jpg1616322286571.jpg

So please NOW explain to us what is the problem and how can we solve this?

Please do not pretend that there is no problem when several people signal to you that there is one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2021

I have tested, which lead me to the answer given above.

0 votes
mchang July 7, 2020

Fredrik, did you ever figure out the cause for the difference in behavior? I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

See https://video.drift.com/v/abO1FfOFnJG/  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2020

In your video, Alexey's answer is why.  Your issue types are configured differently.

Fredrik Johansson July 8, 2020

It suddenly just changed back to the original behavior for us. We never did any changes (the reply by Alexei was not applicable) so I just assume it was something that got patched.

It was definitely very annoying and I hope you can get it working again.

mchang July 8, 2020

Nic, can you clarify what you mean by "Alexey's answer is why"?

I have no workflow configurations, and I can change the issue type seamlessly between Seed and Story despite the screen configurations being different between those two issue types. Furthermore Story and Bug have the same screen configurations.

See comparison among the three issue types at  https://video.drift.com/v/absyOnowkJG/  

Suggest an answer