Change issue type automatically on transition

In some cases I would be nice to change the issue type on transition.

For instance when you made an estimation and the issue is approved it would switch to task. Sadly enough I can't find that option.

Is this possible at all?

6 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

You can't do this natively, you'll need to find/write a plugin that can change the issue type as part of a listener or post-function.

This is potentially a very complex process though - a new issue type can have different fields and workflows and need to check and validate all sorts of data associated with the issue before it's possible. I'm not aware of any plugins that can do this

Though I can't find the option indeed, thanks for explaining.

I don't understand the goal of this. Could you eliaborate more?

Even I am looking for a similar option. I have created different issue types for different customers for e.g. A-bug B-bug ... so the user creates the bugs but then in post function i want to change the issue type from bug to a-bug / B-bug depending on the customer. so that I can then have different workflows for different set of issue types

0 votes

The same answer applies - it's not *just* a change of a field, you have a whole load of structural work to do as you make the change, and you'll need to write it yourself because there isn't anything out there.

okay, thanks Nic.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

24,161 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you