Change in jira.projectkey.pattern leads in "It may have been deleted or you don't have permission t"

Miba August 5, 2021

Hello,

I am trying to use "Invalid Character" in Project Key (Hyphen Symbol -)

First try:

1. Stopped JIRA
  2. Add jira-config.properties file in JIRA_HOME with
 jira.projectkey.pattern = ([A-Z][A-Z0-9-]+)
  1. start JIRA

but no success, it does not take it in after starting JIRA, then I tried directly change the value from database - propertystring table, it is working but then I cannot directly open any ticket!

I can view the project and its issues and see the content of the issue but when I click on issue link it says: 

You can't view this project

It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it.

I ran Project re-indexing and also Full Jira indexing but it didn't help and when I revert back the pattern then everything is working fine.

So, how could I use Hyphen(-) in my project ID not results in such a mess!

ID like --> XX-XX and then it comes the sequence number.

Note: Maybe it helps, when I click on Issue Link it tries to open with

• <JIRA-URL>/project/TMS-1

which of course such a project is not existed! and when I revert back to default then it opens with:

• <JIRA-URL>/browse/TMS-1

Jira Version: 

• v8.17.1#817001

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2021

You're kind of laying down the base for problems to come with a hyphen, to be honest, as hyphen already plays such an important part of issues.

This is also confirmed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/changing-the-project-key-format-938847081.html where it states that hyphens are not supported.

Miba August 15, 2021

Thanks @Radek Dostál  for the info, so it seems I was trying something impossible in Jira.

Suggest an answer