Change Username

Florian Müller May 20, 2012

Hello ,

is it possible to change the username of my users? One of my Users did a typo so that this name is spellt wrong. I already found out that it is possible to export everything change the name and import that again. But I cant find the export funktion on my OD Jira.

Please help,

regards

Florian Müller

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2012

Not really. Once a username has been created, it's the unique key to that user. They can change their name and email from their profile, but the login id is immutable. It's used all over the place, which is why changing it can be a pain (imagine having to rewrite every table where a user may have left a footprint - last time I looked, there were 18 of them, and some were rather obscure - nowhere near as simple as jiraissue.reporter)

The usual approach is to create a new user, get them to use it, remove the old one from any groups including "jira-users", so it can't be used or count towards your license numbers. Then bulk edit any assignee/reporter that needs to be swapped to the "new" user account.

You can't export or import your data in OnDemand, as it's a protected function - you could raise a support call with Atlassian about all of this though - they will do exports and imports if planned and booked, and they may help with the rename.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012
0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2012

Hi Florian,

Here it is the Atlassian workaround for this:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+Usernames+in+JIRA

It will be an XML Backup in the admin section.

And someone recommended this issue because it has possible workarounds:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1549

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2012

And then you can change the username on the file.

Thanks for your comment. My problem is that I'm using Jira on Demand so that I dont have the feature to backup my data.

I can only import something but that would be the ne next step. first of all I have to get out the data to change the username.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2012

In this document indicates that you can do a request for the XML Backup.

Exporting/backing up JIRA data to XML

YES

Atlassian support will assist with generating a usable XML backups for downloadable instances, only if you have a pending cancellation of a paid-subscription Atlassian OnDemand account. Commercial customers can request an export by filing a ticket athttps://support.atlassian.com.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

We have run into these issues with name changes since their user ID is the same as their first name.last name. I wish they would use internal IDs as the reference instead of such a value, allowing a user to change, but require it be unique.

In some cases, we can setup a new user and transfer; but, most often we cannot because you cannot change wiki authors, comments, etc and you cannot edit reporters/assignees until the workflow allows for editing. We don't want to reopen things just to make a change because that also negatively affects statistics around cycle times and activity.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2012

Not really. Once a username has been created, it's the unique key to that user. They can change their name and email from their profile, but the login id is immutable. It's used all over the place, which is why changing it can be a pain (imagine having to rewrite every table where a user may have left a footprint - last time I looked, there were 18 of them, and some were rather obscure - nowhere near as simple as jiraissue.reporter)

The usual approach is to create a new user, get them to use it, remove the old one from any groups including "jira-users", so it can't be used or count towards your license numbers. Then bulk edit any assignee/reporter that needs to be swapped to the "new" user account.

You can't export or import your data in OnDemand, as it's a protected function - you could raise a support call with Atlassian about all of this though - they will do exports and imports if planned and booked, and they may help with the rename.

thanks for your replay, probably its easier to create a new user.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question