Change User Story "Description" label

Greg Thomas December 16, 2021

Hi,

Is it possible to change the "Description" text on a User Story to say "Story" instead?

The system doesn't seem to allow for changes to non-custom field labels but just want to confirm if I'm missing something.

Thanks - Greg.

ustory.PNG

2 answers

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hi @Greg Thomas,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Correct, system fields cannot be renamed, but you could remove it from the screen that stories are using and create a new custom field called Story.

Alex Ortiz December 16, 2021

This is the recommendation I would have made.  Remove Description from your screen and add a new custom field.  Make sure the new Story field is of type Paragraph and make sure you put it in the Description Fields section within your Issue Layout.

0 votes
Greg Thomas December 17, 2021

okay great thanks, I assumed a system field couldn't be moved so this is great.

Greg Thomas December 17, 2021

When I try to do this it works fine.

And I can remove the description field from the user story field, but I still want it to be available in other work items.

I can't seem to find the "context" for the description field to be able to do this.

Am I missing something in how I am doing this?

Thank you.

Alex Ortiz December 19, 2021

I don't think you need to mess with the context at this point.  If you want a different issue type to still have the description, make sure that issue type has its own screen and include Description in that screen.

Suggest an answer