Change JIRA to show exact activity time

Harrison Fortier July 21, 2013

How can I change JIRA to show exact activity time?

Example:
Let's say I have an issue and change its status to one of our custom workflow status - say: UNDERWAY. Then I do the work and finish the work for that issue. Now I want to log my work against the issue. I go to check the activity tab of the issue to see when I changed the status to UNDERWAY but it says: 1 hour ago. That is very ambigious. 1h 15 minutes? 1h 50 minutes? 45 minutes?

Is there a setting in JIRA to show the exact time for the activity tab of issues? It can either show me exactly: 1h 53 minutes ago OR just show me the exact timestamp like: 9:13am. Either works for me.

How can I configure this? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2013

Hi Harrison,

There is an improvement request for this exact feature to be added to JIRA. The improvement is available to vote and view at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-33449.

The time itself does revert to a specific timestamp when the recorded activity reaches the next day.

Thanks,

Paul

Harrison Fortier July 26, 2013

Thanks Paul.

As a note to anyone who clicks the link Paul gave - for whatever reason the link includes the period at the end which will then take you to a page which says the issue doesn't exist. Just remove the period and it will take you to the correct issue. :-D

Martin Gregory July 5, 2018

Actually, on the next day, it just says "yesterday"...

Martin Gregory July 5, 2018

... and note that the issue that Paul pointed to was closed as "wont fix"

Gareth Oakes August 20, 2018

There is a workaround for this. I note that you can obtain the timestamp through a tooltip. The tooltip is activated by mouse cursor hover event. Example when I hover over the word "Yesterday":

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 13.44.42.png

Like James Wassink likes this
anton-plebanovich December 17, 2018

Thanks @Gareth Oakes!

Charles Foster January 15, 2019

In true JIRA style, your mileage varies. On our Jira v7.12.1, I don't see a date on hover, I see another "helpful" relative date that is different than the on-screen date

2019-01-15 08_20_59-.png

However, in the DOM the actual date seems to be available

2019-01-15 08_26_28- Jira.png

0 votes
Harrison Fortier July 24, 2013

No one knows?

Gareth Oakes August 20, 2018

@Harrison Fortie1 see my comment.

Suggest an answer