Caught exception while attempting to perform action ID from workflow ID on issue ID - Null Pointer

Felix Albertsmeier November 20, 2019

Hello,

I am trying to create a workflow post function plugin for our JIRA that clears the value of a custom field during a transition. It is a Date Picker Field to be exact.

So far the stack trace had been helpful with figuring out what I did wrong, but now I've reached an error, that doesn't tell me enough. This is the current stack trace:

---

/secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [c.a.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 61 from workflow 150430 on issue 'JAVACC-1495'
java.lang.NullPointerException
at de.nrw.it.plugins.jira.workflow.ClearDateOnTransition.execute(ClearDateOnTransition.java:79)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.executeFunction(AbstractWorkflow.java:1014)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.transitionWorkflow(AbstractWorkflow.java:1407)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.doAction(AbstractWorkflow.java:557)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowActionInsideTxn(OSWorkflowManager.java:830)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowAction(OSWorkflowManager.java:787)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.transition(DefaultIssueService.java:492)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.workflow.SimpleWorkflowAction.doExecute(SimpleWorkflowAction.java:28)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
... 7 filtered
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
... 48 filtered
at com.atlassian.greenhopper.jira.filters.ClassicBoardRouter.doFilter(ClassicBoardRouter.java:62)
... 12 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 58 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
... 39 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
... 10 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 4 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
... 26 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
... 23 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

---

I can't seem to figure out where the Null Pointer is located.

Prior to that I had an error regarding an Orderable Field to not be allowed to be NULL, which I fixed, so I assume the error lies afters those lines. I just can't figure it out.

My attempts to log any variable information has not really worked so far. Does anybody have any ideas how to figure this out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Felix

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Bartolome
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2024

The answer is on the error:

/secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [c.a.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 61 from workflow 150430 on issue 'JAVACC-1495

Check the workflow on text mode and look for action 61.

Create a duplicate of the workflow (backup the original) and remove all the post-functions related to that action (transition). Give it a try to see if it works

Keep adding things slowly making sure they work and you don't have any errors.

If you are adding values make sure the fields are available for the project you run it (context of the field).

Also make sure the order of the post-function is correct (contact the vendor if necessary).

A bit late, but maybe it helps

0 votes
Rolf Lader September 4, 2020

Hello Felix

I walked into the same error you did. Were you able to find out what caused the mistake in the meantime?

Many thanks, Rolf

Suggest an answer