Capacity for the group of users

olga_novak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 13, 2020

I'd like to count a Team Capacity but don't want to assign tasks before the start of the Sprint.

I have a Team where are 2 backend developers, 2 frontend developers, and 2 QAs.We marked each task with a special label (backend, QA and frontend) and can define which task for what.

I'd like to have a possibility to match estimates of tasks with one label to the capacity of a group of users who are going to work on tasks with that label

*for Jira cloud

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2020

Hello @olga_novak

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand you would like to see the estimation and progress of your issues grouping them by its label, properly checking the capacity and velocity related to those issues. Is that correct?

I can confirm to you that the default Jira Reports can provide you with the information you need, however, the big challenge here would be to group that information based on labels.

To achieve that, I suggest you separate different boards to each of your labels. Also, instead of labels, components would be the best way to achieve it since they can not be created in a dynamic way and mistakenly added to an issue. These would be the exact steps:

1. Use Components to differentiate the Backend, Frontend and QA issues of your project
  2. Create a new Board for each component you have, properly setting their filters to only return issues with the related component
  3. Use Jira Reports to collect the data you want by component

Let us know if you have any questions.

olga_novak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 15, 2020

Thank you @Petter Gonçalves for your answer. Actually, we'd like to count the capacity of the Team and match it with estimations of tasks (user story sub-tasks). It's more about the Planning of the Sprint.

We tried "Tempo" and "Capacity tracker" plugins to count capacity and match it to estimations but we need to assign tasks to each user to see a relevant picture.
We don't want to assign a task to each user. But we'd like to match the estimation of a task to the capacity of the group (backend group, QA group, Frontend group)

We'll try to create 3 different boards but it'll be cool to see the information on one page (similar to the Capacity tracker or Tempo)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2020

Thank you for the details provided, @olga_novak

Indeed, I believe the "assignee" field is the common mechanism to define/manage the capacity of your team in third-party apps.

As a suggestion, you can also try Portfolio for jira Cloud. This app also provides you with a useful capacity manager functionality which can be tagged with the Team name label, properly grouping your capacity data:

Using the capacity view 

Can you check if this option would work for you?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events