Cant delete issue

Usually i saw 'delete' button in "More action" sections.
In my onDemand instance there is not delete link.

Question is: how can i delete issue?

6 answers

1 accepted

if you want to delete issues you should have permission to delete issues, to get permission contact you jira admin or project lead

Thanks, it`s work now.

I am the damn project lead

Some jira ideas are really weird. :) Yuo should click tons of screen in order to give YOURSELF (!!!) a right to delete issue.

As same Im the project lead!! Cmon! 

What is the right way to get such role? I did create a project but I couldn't find a way to delete an issue in that project...

Project Administration -> Permissions -> Edit Permissions (top right action menu) -> Select 'Project Lead' on the radio buttons -> Save This will affect all projects that share this permission scheme

Can we have a simple explanation? I am project lead still cant delete stuff..

any help will be appreciated..

worked

it is simple had too many beers....

1.  Don't delete unless you are 100% sure.  The community is full of questions about restoring deleted issues, and it's not easy or fun.

2.  Use the "delete" option from the ... menu

3.  If you don't have it, then see exactly what Alchemytec Admin said above.

thanks Mate..Got what I wanted..

0 votes

The given reasoning for not have ability to delete an issue makes no sense when it's so simple to delete the entire project.

It took me ten minutes find where to give myself, the admin, permission to delete an issue.

It makes perfect sense.  Deleting a project can only be done by administrators.

Users, in a few cases (see points above about why you should generally disallow delete), should be allowed to delete issues, without needing admin rights.

0 votes
Mary Lai I'm New Here Jan 13, 2018

I think I agree, as project lead i think the ability to delete an issue is helpful and pretty basic... 

imho I shouldn't have to dig around into permissions and grant myself access. 

For those still looking for it

setting cog > permission schemes > permissions > delete issues > edit > show more > project lead > grant

It's mostly an unmitigated disaster to allow delete issue in Jira.

One of the things good admins do when they inherit a Jira system is remove delete permissions throughout all the permission schemes unilaterally, so that they don't waste weeks of time dealing with the nightmare of accidental or mistaken deletions.

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jan 13, 2018

As @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] said in an earlier post, the forum is full of people trying to recover deleted issues.  It will eventually come around and bite you in rear.  I suggest closing them with a resolution of 'Deleted'.

Right. Ok, I understand. Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] and @Joe Pitt 

So sort of following this thread, I've gone into project settings > workflows, to add that as a 'status' as 'closed'. 

Yeah I think this system is better, sort of works like an archiving system. 

It'll be good if archiving was built into the default.  

I created almost 20 additional more tickets which later found its redundant , will there be any harm to the system backend OR database if i decided to delete those redundant tickets from my Jira?

No, just be 100% sure you want them gone, as it's a nightmare to get them back from backups.

Thanks for your fast response Nic , just to get a confirmation no issue will be happening to DB , cause notice the ticket ID let's say is issue with ID 3 , once deleted and create a new ticket with the ID 3 no able to create the same

No, Jira does not reuse numbers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,755 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot