Cannot transition an issue using Rest API

Ken O_Brien April 1, 2021

I am using an on premises edition of Jira server V8.15.0 and writing code in C#

The issue is already created so I used an API call to get the metadata and thus the id for the issue.

I then used: "/baseUrl/api/2/project/projectKey/statuses" to get all the statuses for the project and thus the status id corresponding to the status I want to transition the issue to.

I then created a response body:

"{\"transition\": {\"id\": \"" + statusId +"\"}}"

-or-

{"transition": {"id": "statusId"}}

I then POST the request to:

"/baseUrl/api/2/issue/issueId/transitions";

however this generates a 500 code "Internal Server Error"

Any  idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ken O'Brien

1 answer

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Ken O_Brien 

Have you checked the application logs? atlassian-jira.log file will lead you to this problem as the devil is in the details.

Ken O_Brien April 6, 2021

I have checked the application log file (atlassian-jira.log, actually the server guy just sent me a copy of it) at about the time the internal error is generated.  I see nothing suspicious.  No mention of an error.  No mention of transition.  No mention of status.  However, whenever I try to perform a transition it throws it back at me with "Internal Server Error".  Maybe I just don't know what to look for.  It is possible to transition an issue on Jira server through the API correct?

Suggest an answer