Cannot edit Jira Issues

Jeremy Lim February 13, 2018

I recently created a jira issue and all the usual fields were editable (description, attachment to upload) after the issue was created. Somehow, after awhile I cannot edit the issues anymore. 

I used the same permission scheme as another jira project where all the open issues are still editable. 

I'm also logged in as Jira global site administrator

How do I re-enable editing for open issues? 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Lim February 15, 2018

Solved it. That "Permission Helper" button was helpful. I figured that although I'm a Jira site administrator, I still can't edit any issue in any project. You still need to add yourself with the correct role to the particular project. 

Emelie May 12, 2021

How did you do it? 

I can't see any Permission helper button anywhere. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Are you an admin?  (Jira admin, not site or project admins)

0 votes
gabriela_romo December 22, 2022

Although the person asking this already solved their issue, here's a possible solution to someone else:

In my case, I was admin from X Project in jira, but I wasn't able to change the reporter from the issues made in Y Project in Jira. The reason why is because I had to:

1. Add myself as a member/admin of the "Y project".

I did this by going to Project settings -> access -> add people 

I made the mistake of thinking that bc I had admin access to "X Project" I was by default admin of any other project boards. Anyways, I hope this helps. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2018

Check the permission scheme for the project.  What does it say for "Issue Edit"?

Jeremy Lim February 14, 2018
  • Project Role (Users)
  • Project Role (atlassian-addons-project-access)

I've actually copied the same permission scheme from another project which has jira issue editing for all issues. 

0 votes

I'm also logged in as Jira Global site administrator

sorry, if i knew how to delete my above comment above, i would. 

Like oceansergey likes this

Suggest an answer