Cannot create Issue with Java API

huntermike November 6, 2017

I want to copy an issue with this code:

```
MutableIssue copiedIssue= ComponentAccessor.getIssueFactory().cloneIssueWithAllFields(issue);
copiedIssue.setProjectObject(project);
try {
copiedIssue=
ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().
.getIssueObject(ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()..createIssueObject(user,copiedIssue).getKey());
} catch (CreateException e) {
throw new RuntimeException(e);
}
```

I get this error Message:

```
java.lang.RuntimeException:com.atlassian.jira.workflow.WorkflowException: An unknown exception occured executing Validator com.atlassian.jira.workflow.SkippableValidator@4b24c667: root cause: java.lang.NullPointerException
```

This works very fine until now...
I just changed somerwhere else the code with active objects but this has no influence on this part of the code and is also not executed(i deleted everything and rebuild it but nothing helped).

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Michael,

You've got a NullPointerException :

com.atlassian.jira.workflow.SkippableValidator@4b24c667: root cause: java.lang.NullPointerException

The stacktrace tell you the line where the Null Pointer is, just after this text. Take a look there.

I can see two mistakes in your code :

1. There is two points after getIssueManager() :

ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()..createIssueObject(user,copiedIssue)
  2. The createIssueObject returns you the created issue, you don't need to get it.
copiedIssue = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().createIssueObject(user, copiedIssue);

This line is enough.

Hope this help.

Best regards,

Christophe Sauvage

The Nullpointer exception is in this line:

copiedIssue=
ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().
getIssueObject(ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()..createIssueObject(user,copiedIssue).getKey());

I've tried your version but it throws the same exception.

copiedIssue=(MutableIssue) Issues.issueManager().createIssueObject(user,copiedIssue); 

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error copy issue CSD-1: com.atlassian.jira.workflow.WorkflowException: An unknown exception occured executing Validator com.atlassian.jira.workflow.SkippableValidator@65145c83: root cause: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.swql.jaeger.jira.webwork.CreateProjectAction.copyIssues(CreateProjectAction.java:233) [?:?]
 at com.swql.jaeger.jira.webwork.CreateProjectAction.doExecute(CreateProjectAction.java:88) [?:?]
 at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
 at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63) [jira-api-7.2.2.jar:?]
 at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]
 at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31) [webwork-1.4-atlassian-30.jar:?]

Could it be from the mutable issue?

Any other idea?

Visibly, you have a validator in your workflow.

Take a look here, it'll probably help :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/project-import-completed-with-error-unable-to-create-issue-due-to-field-required-validator-on-target-workflow-792309260.html

Tell me if it helped you.

The problem was something different, it was the user which leads to the null pointer exception. With hardcoded user "admin" it works again. 

Thank you Christophe for your help ! 

Glad you found a solution !

You're welcome !

Suggest an answer