Cannot connect to IMAP mail server

Ge Bai August 10, 2014

I tried to configure Jira to connect to our IMAP mail server host, but got "ConnectException: Connection refused: connect" error.

I followed the steps on https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA061/Connecting+to+SSL+services to add domain cert into the keystore, but still got same error.

Any idea about what might be the problem?

Thanks!

ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2014

That error means the server is there and listening, but is not set up to accept connections, either from your server, or from the user you tried to use (or both).

Try a telnet to that server and port and see if you can log in. But whatever you do, you'll need to talk to your IMAP server admin

Ge Bai August 11, 2014

The host name I am trying to connect to is the load balancer not the name of the client access server. Is JIRA load balancer aware?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2014

It shouldn't matter. A load balancer will be presenting a consistent name and interface, even though the request may end up being handled by different servers or services.

The problem is that you're account is not set up to log in to the imap servers, or you can't reach them

Ge Bai August 11, 2014

Thanks Nic for your reply!

I tried to make JIRA connect to one of the IMAP servers behind the load balancer, and it succeed. But when I switched back to host name, which is a array of three servers, it failed again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2014

There's something wrong in the setup of the load balancer. Jira REALLY doesn't care what's behind the host/user/password details, as long as it responds as a standard imap service.

Suggest an answer