It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cannot close a Jira issue due to *required* filed

Hi.

I have an issue type called 'Spike', which is a like a research type issue.

It shares the same workflow with all other issue types in a Jira project.

Some of the other issue types have a workflow validation that checks if the Fix Version is populated before closing the issue.

The problem is that I don't want the Spike issue type to have the Fix Version as required.

I only want the Fix Version required for other issue types in the same project.

How can I fix this?

Do I need to create a separate workflow for the Spike issue? or is there a simpler way?

4 answers

Hi @Gil Levy 

I'm suggesting you to go with a seperate workflow..if you want same just copy it and take out that validation

That'll work

Regards,

Kevin.

Unfortunately, I cannot create a new workflow for it.

@Gil Levy , You can achieve this by using boolean validator or script validator to exclude your project from validating for the close transition.

If you have JMWE add-on installed, use 'Fields Required Validator' where you can specify your project that needs to be excluded. 

Thanks,
VJ

Sounds interesting, but not sure I understand.

I use automation for jira add-on, so I cannot add JMWE at this stage.

Can you please elaborate on the boolean validator?

With scriptrunner you can make a validation depending on a condition.

validation 1.pngvalidation 2.pngvalidation 3.png

There are many options, some of which were suggested above

1. Use two different workflows. While this seems complex, it has the advantage of not needing any additional addons to work
  2. Use a condition on the validator. You will probably need an add-on/plugin. Many plugins give you options to create more complex validators. A few were suggested above
  3. in your workflow, use 2 different transitions and put conditions on them to make only 1 valid for each issue type. Then only put the validator on one of them.

There is more the one way to do it. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

No.3 could work out well for me.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

841 views 5 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you