• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cannot change project lead

I believe I've reviewed every post and tried every option going back several years without success. We used to be able to do this (although even then was a bit of an adventure)

Bottom line: the dialog below looks like my best chance of success -- but where are the users?

Users are in the project, the project has other admins (besides the overall Jira admins).

For any devs at Atlassian -- what is the logic that populates my options here?

At a loss.

cannotPickLead.png

Using Server Jira v8.6.1

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Payne Community Leader May 26, 2020

You may already have done this, but note that you must start typing to get an auto-suggest list.

Tail between legs. Shoot me. That did it.

Payne Community Leader May 26, 2020

Ha ha, happens to the best of us! :-) 

Like erica_dahl likes this

thank you for asking this question.  I was having exactly the same problem and found this question in the "related questions" links to the right.  

I feel like this is a new thing too because I've been changing project leads for months

I was having exactly the same problem too. I think this is definitely UI/UX design issue

Yes thanks Jeff for researching and posting this. Tripped me up for a long while today. Agree with jeepkd - very poor UX on this screen from Atlassian.

Thanks - I've been stuck on this for days!  I swear that I've also tried typing names before but it worked today.

This solution doesn't work for me.  I cannot type over the existing name at all.

I'm an administrator using JIRA v8.11.0 and followed the advice about using Edit Defaults then just type in the Project Lead field until the required name is auto-suggested. Then hit the Update button and the Edit Project Lead and Default Assignee for Project pop-up box disappears to leave me on the Project Lead > User and Roles screen and the Project Lead entry alters to Default Assignee. Refresh the page and I'm back to the original set up and nothing has changed. 

Alternatively, if I change the current Project Lead role to unassigned and return to the Edit Project Lead > User and Roles screen the Project Lead entry alters to Default Assignee.  On clicking Edit Defaults both the Project Lead and Default Assignee are blank and labelled Select.  I type the name of the relevant person and choose from the auto-suggest list, then click Default Assignee and choose Project Lead.  This time when I hit Update nothing happens - it remains there and I'm unable to commit the changes.

Hi @mark_smith-magee I'm having the same issue. Were you able to successfully update the Project Lead?  If so, how?  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you