Cannot cast value

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

Hi,

The jira log is being continously spammed by this ERROR message

2018-05-04 14:21:55,789 ajp-nio-8109-exec-374 ERROR mbl 861x28126165x1 xxxxxx 172.16.225.yy /secure/CommentAssignIssue.jspa [c.k.s.lang.type.StringSILType] Cannot cast value >><< from string to double

2018-05-04 14:24:35,399 ajp-nio-8109-exec-386 ERROR skl 864x28126787x1 xxxxxx 172.16.223.xx /rest/api/2/issue/TCR-4120 [c.k.s.lang.type.StringSILType] Cannot cast value >><< from string to double

The error appears multiple times for different issues in different projects.  I can't figure out which plugin is causing this, which fileds are responsible, where is the SIL script and why is it spamming the log? Does anyone give a * about exception handling anymore?

Please help me debug this .

3 answers

1 vote
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

Yep! Please use the SIL Manager to check the SIL script's code which might be using a cast on wrong types.

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Thanks everyone.

Unfortuantely, the SIL scripts are ok, though it might be one of the scripted customfields. I will enable safe-mode in the next maintenance window and than enable each plugin with an eye on *jira.log's tail. That should help narrow it down.

Abraham Sarmiento May 31, 2018

Danyal, did you figure this out? The "Cannot cast value... from string to double..." error?

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

Hi Abraham,

I'm pretty sure the issue happens when SIL is trying to input some value or get some from a field which is in a different format than expected. If you can share the logs or script associated with the issue we could help probably!

Cheers

Abraham Sarmiento May 31, 2018

Hi Micky,

The error is the same as the original post: "...[c.k.s.lang.type.StringSILType] Cannot cast value >><< from string to double" 

The errors result whenever an issue(s) is displayed on a dashboard or when viewing the issue:

".../browse/PROJ-1111 [c.k.s.lang.type.StringSILType] Cannot cast value >><< from string to double" 

One of these issues have several custom SIL fields and the error is not descriptive enough to show which SIL field is causing the error. Many of these SIL fields do something similar to the following:

date custDt1 = customfield_11111;

date custDt2 = customfield_22222;

interval i;

number n;

if (isNotNull(custDt1){

i = custDt1 - custDt2;

n = (number)i;

return round((n/3600000)/24,0);
}
else {
if (status == "Some Status") {
i = currentDate() - custDt2;
n = (number)i;
return round ((n/3600000)/24,0);
}
else {
return 0;
}
}

Thank you.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2018

It is one of the Power Scripts plugins.

0 votes
Samantha January 4, 2021

Hi @Danyal Iqbal @Abraham Sarmiento , 

I have the same exact issue right now. I have worked with CPrime with no luck, they are very helpful but are unsure the cause. If you were able to resolve this issue I would be very grateful for some guidance.

R,

Samantha

Suggest an answer