Cannot assign user to issue

Daniel Jarrett June 26, 2019

I've just set up a new project and I cannot choose an assignee for a task.  I've checked the permissions scheme and the permissions helper to check certain users by the assignee permission and this works, it shows that i should in fact be able to assign to the users i expect to. 

What is odd is that even when i type my own name in the assignee box i don't get anything come up in the list of users. 

I've tried everything i can think of including switching to using permission schemes that I know work with other projects.  Is there something I could have missed here?

On a related note as an opinion I find it pretty amazing that this company can become a multi billion dollar business based on a flagship product that has so many usability flaws.  I don't hate Jira, but find it difficult to understand how even with the billions of $ it can be still so broken. Hopefully a solid rebuild with all the current features is not too far away. 

5 answers

0 votes
Ng Wai Chuan October 31, 2019

Hi @Andy Heinzer, I am experiencing a similar and possibly related issue.

I have a project set up with full permissions - for instance, "Assignable User" under Issue Permissions has been set to "Application access (Any logged in user)".

In the new JIRA issue view, on the individual issue page, I am not able to find one of my project's users by name to assign the issue to.

However, I can find the user by name and assign issues successfully once I switch to the old view by clicking on "See the old view". This doesn't seem to be a permissions-related issue; can you help?

Andreas Paulsson February 25, 2020

We have the same issue as well: everything works as it should for almost all users, but for one specific user, noone can assign issues to this specific user, her name does not show up in Assignee dropdown list in the new issue view. All other users can be found in the list, but not this specific user. If we switch to the old view, the user can be found and assigned as usual.

In the new issue view, the user can be found in the Reporter dropdown list and can be selected here.

The user can work in Jira as usual both in new and old issue view.

The permissions for the user is exactly the same as other users that we can assign to in the new issue view.

Ng Wai Chuan February 26, 2020

@Andreas Paulsson My issue was resolved by Atlassian team after they re-indexed users for search. Hope this helps!

Andreas Paulsson February 27, 2020

@Ng Wai Chuan I contacted Atlassian support and after some troubleshooting, they re-indexed our users and now everything works as expected again.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  But I have found that you are not alone in this specific problem.  It appears that a number of Jira Cloud sites have recently seen this exact problem.  Check out Andrews answer for the same problem over on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-Assignee-Permissions-Issue/qaq-p/1147090/comment-id/51693#M51693

To summarize, it appears that the assignee field suddenly does not appear on the screen configuration.   When this happens, it's not possible to edit the assignee value of that issue by just clicking on the field or via the edit button.  However since Assignee is a system field, it still appears on the page.   There was a documented bug about this in JRACLOUD-72105.  By going into the project settings, and adding the assignee field to the screen in question will then allow you to edit that field and set different values for assignee.

I hope this helps.

Andy

0 votes
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2019

Hello @Daniel Jarrett

Verify on the permission scheme if the work on issue is set for the group/people you want, I had a problem like this, and for me this was the answer. 

Good luck!

Thanks @elenushhh I've checked this and the permissions are all ok from what i can see. 

0 votes
PVS
Banned
June 26, 2019

Hi @Daniel Jarrett 

First You Will Give the Permission in Permission Scheme IN that Project  and  Give the Access to browse project permission and assignable users  after Giving this You get Chose the assignee for a task

Thanks,

Hi @PVS  

I've already done this.  So I've added a number of groups which contain myself and other members of the team as members to both the Assignable User and Browse Project.  I've also used the permission helper to test a number of users including myself and it seems the permission helper confirms that these users have permission.  However still I don't see any users appear in the drop down list. 

Could this be a bug?

0 votes
Amith Mathur _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2019

Hi @Daniel Jarrett , 

Please go to the respective Permission Scheme and see who you have set as "Assignable Users" under Issue Permissions.

You can refer this document for managing permissions.

Thanks, 
Amith Mathur

Hi @Amith Mathur _Appfire_   I have done this and confirmed that the users I am expecting to see have in fact permissions in Assignable Users.

Suggest an answer