It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cannot assign user to issue

I've just set up a new project and I cannot choose an assignee for a task.  I've checked the permissions scheme and the permissions helper to check certain users by the assignee permission and this works, it shows that i should in fact be able to assign to the users i expect to. 

What is odd is that even when i type my own name in the assignee box i don't get anything come up in the list of users. 

I've tried everything i can think of including switching to using permission schemes that I know work with other projects.  Is there something I could have missed here?

On a related note as an opinion I find it pretty amazing that this company can become a multi billion dollar business based on a flagship product that has so many usability flaws.  I don't hate Jira, but find it difficult to understand how even with the billions of $ it can be still so broken. Hopefully a solid rebuild with all the current features is not too far away. 

5 answers

Hi @Daniel Jarrett , 

Please go to the respective Permission Scheme and see who you have set as "Assignable Users" under Issue Permissions.

You can refer this document for managing permissions.

Thanks, 
Amith Mathur

Hi @Amith Mathur [Appfire]   I have done this and confirmed that the users I am expecting to see have in fact permissions in Assignable Users.

Hi @Daniel Jarrett 

First You Will Give the Permission in Permission Scheme IN that Project  and  Give the Access to browse project permission and assignable users  after Giving this You get Chose the assignee for a task

Thanks,

Hi @PVS  

I've already done this.  So I've added a number of groups which contain myself and other members of the team as members to both the Assignable User and Browse Project.  I've also used the permission helper to test a number of users including myself and it seems the permission helper confirms that these users have permission.  However still I don't see any users appear in the drop down list. 

Could this be a bug?

Hello @Daniel Jarrett

Verify on the permission scheme if the work on issue is set for the group/people you want, I had a problem like this, and for me this was the answer. 

Good luck!

Thanks @elenushhh I've checked this and the permissions are all ok from what i can see. 

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Aug 06, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  But I have found that you are not alone in this specific problem.  It appears that a number of Jira Cloud sites have recently seen this exact problem.  Check out Andrews answer for the same problem over on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-Assignee-Permissions-Issue/qaq-p/1147090/comment-id/51693#M51693

To summarize, it appears that the assignee field suddenly does not appear on the screen configuration.   When this happens, it's not possible to edit the assignee value of that issue by just clicking on the field or via the edit button.  However since Assignee is a system field, it still appears on the page.   There was a documented bug about this in JRACLOUD-72105.  By going into the project settings, and adding the assignee field to the screen in question will then allow you to edit that field and set different values for assignee.

I hope this helps.

Andy

0 votes

Hi @Andy Heinzer, I am experiencing a similar and possibly related issue.

I have a project set up with full permissions - for instance, "Assignable User" under Issue Permissions has been set to "Application access (Any logged in user)".

In the new JIRA issue view, on the individual issue page, I am not able to find one of my project's users by name to assign the issue to.

However, I can find the user by name and assign issues successfully once I switch to the old view by clicking on "See the old view". This doesn't seem to be a permissions-related issue; can you help?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

375 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you