Cannot Remove Custom Field None Option

Matt Shepherd August 3, 2016

All, I am at my wits end with this and could use some help solving what should be a simple, solvable problem. I have several custom fields that I need to remove the None option from (this is radio buttons or single-value select lists). I have followed the numerous guides that say to:

1. Set the field as Required; and
  2. Set a default value for the field.

This has no effect. So, I went and bulk-changed existing issues which did not have a value set to one of the valid options. Still no effect. Do I need to change the context of the custom field to be scoped to this particular project? Or what else can I look at to determine why this is still showing the way it is? Do I need a JIRA restart? I would think not.

To further cause frustration, I followed the same steps as above like 2-3 weeks ago to successfully remove the None option. However, right now it is not working.

As a note, I am using JIRA Software 7.1.7.

2 answers

0 votes
Matt Shepherd August 3, 2016

Yep, I have been re-indexing regularly. We are still in a small deployment so it is only about 30s per shot. Can you clarify what you mean in the second sentence with regard to requiring it in the field configuration? To try to answer, I simply created the field, then added it to a screen, and the screen is required for Edit, Create, View, and Default operations.

Fred Gruhn April 25, 2017

Matt, were you able to get this resolved? I'm in the same boat and made my field required, yet the "None" value still appears (re-indexed also). 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2017

Fred, did you also set a default value for the field (other than None)? Please let me know what version of JIRA you are using.

Cansu November 28, 2019

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2016

If you don't have different contexts for the field then you should only need to set it to required. However, I believe that only works if you are requiring it in the field configuration, not during a transition.  And re-indexing never hurts, just in case

Suggest an answer