Cannot Delete Issues on Jira

Mike Podesto June 4, 2020

Hello everyone,

I am unable to delete issues in Jira for some reason. I've attached a screenshot of the error message I receive below as well as a screenshot showing that I do have "admin" access. 

Your help is very much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 9.24.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-04 at 9.33.12 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

None of my users have delete permission.

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

Thanks Joe. I don't see where I could "close with a resolution value of Deleted". That does not appear to be an option when I click on the issue. 

Also, I'd still like to have the ability to delete if I want to, since I am the admin (as you can see in the pic). So if you can still provide an answer for the above original question, that would be great.

Thanks for providing your additional tips!

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

the option of Deleted needs to be added to the resolution select list. 

Being a admin by itself gives you NO rights in a project. You the the delete issue permission in the project. 

How does one go about adding something to the "resolution select list"...?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

You need to be a JIRA administrator. I notice you are on the Free plan. It may not be a fully functional system. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events