Can you show an icon on task card in scrum board to indicate comments are active?

rajn2020 September 3, 2019

Hi. I have Jira Cloud and in the card layout settings of the board settings section, I see an option to add additional information on a card. But one option in the drop down list is missing: an option to place an icon or other indicator on the card to show that the relevant task has active comments.

I know you can add a summary of the description for the task to the card but I'm interested in adding info to indicate that there are active comments for the task. How do I add this? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

@rajn2020 

The only idea that I can think of is to add a color to issues with active comments based on a query of your choice. Take a look at my screenshot.Let me know if you have other questions

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.47.55 PM.png

rajn2020 September 6, 2019

Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested but it's not working. When I add a comment, the card does not change color. Does this apply only when I do a query search?

Also, it would be nice if Jira would add an icon to the card when there are existing comments, but change to a different icon when a new comment has been added. I can't believe that a world class software like Jira does not have such a basic and essential feature.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

Yes @rajn2020 you will have to add a JQL query. However I don't see that many options in JQL when it comes to comments. When you select comment you can only look for a specific text (~) which I don't think is what you are looking for.

There are other options in the dropdown list however I don't think they meet what you are trying to achieve. 

As far as adding icons not sure if Atlassian has a plan to add it. However notifications are there to notify people when a comment is added. If issue is still open, then users can add comments.

I hope I answered your questions. If not please let me know.

Best,

Fadoua

rajn2020 September 6, 2019

Thanks @Fadoua. I meant it should show an icon when comments exist then change itself to another icon to indicate that new and unread comments have been added. I know you get email notifications when new comments have been added, but it would be nice to have a visual indicator on the cards just incase you didn't read your email notifications. I'd like to request this feature be added.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2019

I totally get your point @rajn2020 especially with so many emails per day we barely get time to read or even notice sometimes the important ones.

You can always suggest it to Atlassian and see if it is something they can add to their list.

Best,

Fadoua

Like rajn2020 likes this

Suggest an answer