Can you set up an alert when added as a watcher?

rishida April 26, 2013

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to send a User an email if they are added as a Watcher on a task.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2013

To expand a bit, the deafult feature set of JIRA won't send out a message when someone is added as a watcher, but with a plugin you might be able to do something similar.

You can use the JIRA Watcher Field Plugin to add a custom field to your system.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.jira-watcher-field

JIRA will send a email if the watcher custom field is updated to include a person since this triggers the "Issue Updated" event type.

You will need to keep in mind that only when adding a user through the field will send a notification. Adding a watcher throguh the regular methods will not fire a notification.

rishida April 29, 2013

Great, thanks!

rishida April 29, 2013

It looks like this is for the download version. Is there something for the ondemand version?

0 votes
orion elenzil January 27, 2014

so with atlassian-hosted jira, this is not possible ?

without this the alternative is to do something like add a comment each time you add one or more watchers. usually i write something like "+watchers". This is not hard, but in my experience it's VERY difficult to train the majority of casual jira users to do this.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2014

This is correct. There is an open feature request for this functionality at: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5494

ah. awesome. that feature request has been open for nearly a decade, with no comment from Atlassian in the past nine years. i'll look forward to it.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2014

Orion, I dug into it a bit further, and unfortunetly I have worse news for you. In July of 2013 in this ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5493the JIRA Product Manager explicitly said that this feature will not be added in the next 12 months.

Hi Boris - thanks for looking into this further. I think JRA-5493 is slightly different than the request here (JRA-5493 = ability to add watchers during issue creation, JRA-5494 = adding a watcher sends the watcher a notification) but I imagine the timeline is similarly distant.

it seems like another approach on Atlassian's side would be to support the "notifications" plugin as part of hosted jira.

all that said, the "@mentions" feature is news to me, and one I'll definitely use here!

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2013

No, this is not currently possible.

Suggest an answer