Can you set assignee to first responder on a ticket?

Ron Lindstrom September 15, 2014
  1. Email gets sent to support
  2. JIRA issue is created(default assignee is 'operations')
  3. Ops_guy_1 responds to the issue_created_notification email
  4. Ops_guy_2 responds to issue_created_notification email

Desired behavior would be to have the issue assigned to Ops_guy_1 as he was the first responder.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

Hi Ron, what you can do is add a postfunction in your workflow transition, 'assign issue to actual user'. I use it all the time. So when the user triggers the transition the issue will be assigned to him.

Ron Lindstrom September 21, 2014

How can I initiate a transition based on the first comment being made via email?

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

Hi Ron,

You could use the Script Runner to create a script that updates the assignee. I do not know what your workflow looks like, but if the responses trigger a workflow transition you could use the script in the post condition of the transition. If there is no workflow transition, you could use the Auto Transition Listener to listen to comment events and then call a workflow step that you specifically create for this (and does not change the status of the issue).

I must say this does seem a bit complicated, so I am hoping there are better solutions. Or maybe you can elaborate on your workflow and why the issue needs to be assigned to the first user who comments, that may open up other solutions.

Kind regards,

Geert

Suggest an answer