Can you make Smart Commits in Jira Next-Gen projects?

Paolo Llenado March 14, 2019

Hi all,

Some context: my team is a big fan of the automatic Github transitions in Jira, and we're planning to move into a Jira Next-Gen project because of the new roadmap feature. We learned that the automatic transitions were no longer available in the next-gen projects, but we were alright with trying out Smart Commits.

We've checked all the other threads and they've said that Smart Commits are supported by Next-Gen, but when we tried to create a Smart Commit, it didn't work.

This is our setup:

• Project type: Scrum Next-Gen
  • Github - Jira add-on is installed correctly
  • Any commits are shown in the development section of the issue

This is what we tried with Smart Commits:

• Create new issue. Let's call it [TKT-179]
  • Create new branch and commit message which tries to move the issue from the "Open" swimlane to the "In Progress" swimlane, and also makes a comment in the issue:
    • [TKT-179] Adds Feature #in-progress #comments test  
  • Result: Commit is seen in the development section of the issue, but the issue did not transition swimlanes, and did not leave a comment in the issue. 

We'd really like to move into Next-Gen, but this is a big hurdle to our transition. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 vote
gregory lang November 1, 2019

First, in next gen project, I cannot configure a workflow.

but I have just managed to smart commit transition work.

All example in documentation use status name different from default next gen workflow : so I lose a whole day trying to make transition work.

In fact, in the transition, we must use the name of the STATUS (not transition name, it is not clear at all) : so we have only 3 possibilities in next gen today :

TO DO = to-do

IN PROGRESS = in-progress

DONE = done

example : to switch to IN PROGRESS status your issue SOT-1 :

SOT-1 #in-progress #comment my progress comment

example : to switch to DONE status your issue SOT-1 :

SOT-1 #done #comment my done comment

So far, I cannot use other workflow...

Che-Wei Lin May 28, 2020

Very useful, appreciate this!!

xavier_rodet July 24, 2020

Thanks a lot, i spent hours to figure out to use it ... that was very unclear!

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hi @Andrey Rychkov,

Checking the ticket that Paolo created with our support, I saw the information that for smart commits to be processed, it's necessary that the email address that was used to send the commit message matches with the email in Jira.
I've tested on my test instance, and as I use the same email on both Bitbucket and Jira, the comment was shown correctly.
You can find more details on the documentation below:
- Processing issues with Smart Commits

Regards,
Angélica

Andrey Rychkov March 26, 2019

@Angélica Luz I found out that I use 2 different accounts on Jira and Bitbucket. Smart commits work well now after I've set the same email on Jira and Bitbucket. Thank you!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2019

Hi Paolo,

I saw that you opened a ticket with our support related to the same question.
As the question is the same, let's focus on the ticket to avoid any possible misunderstandings or miscommunication that may arise from discussing the same matter in two different platforms.

Regards,
Angélica

Andrey Rychkov March 23, 2019

Hi, @Angélica Luz 

I have similar issue with my Next-Gen projects + Bitbucket. Smart comments don't work at all. I would be glad to hear any comments about this in public community.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer