Can you log time spent on subtasks against the parent issue's estimate?

Dave Hollinden March 23, 2018

Hello, 

A team has requested a task management project in which tracking hours per client is important. They would like to have one issue for each client. Each client can request up to eight hours of services, and these services fall into five categories, so they'd like to have five corresponding sub-tasks.

They'd like to supply an estimate of eight hours on the client's parent issue, and log their hours worked on the subtasks. Ideally, then, the work logged on the subtasks would be subtracted from the estimate on the parent issue. Is this possible?

I can't find a way to do it. The work logged on the subtasks can only be subtracted from any estimates on the subtasks themselves, not from the parent issue. 

The closest approach I've found is to not supply any estimate to the parent issue, and then supply a total estimate of eight hours across all the subtasks. That way the total estimate that flows up to the parent is eight hours, and all the work on the subtasks flows up to the parent against those estimates. This is sort of ok, but unwieldy if the subtask estimates need to be changed as time goes on. 

Is there any way to achieve this? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Dave

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2018

Hi @Dave Hollinden,

If you plan to set things up like this, best practice is to include estimates only on the parent issue and not on the sub-task issues.

In the Time Tracking section of your parent issue's detail view, check the tick next to Include sub-tasks as shown below:

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 17.33.53.png

hours logged on subtasks will be shown here then.

You can also use the Sum of Time Spent column in Jira's issue navigator to display this information in overviews:

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 17.39.23.png

Also, have a look at this related question for a bit more background.

Dave Hollinden March 27, 2018

Hi @Walter Buggenhout

Thank you for your response. It's helpful to know that the approach you describe is considered to be best practice. I considered that approach (I tried all combinations of including or not including estimates on the parent issue and the sub-tasks), but thought the Time Tracking display was confusing. 

In our case, hours will only be logged on the subtasks, not on the parent issue. This results in the Estimated and Remaining bars in the Time Tracking display being lengthened with gray bars that represent the hours logged on the sub tasks, but more importantly, the Remaining value that's displayed remains at its original value, suggesting that no hours have been logged against it. The only way to get the real value for hours remaining is to subtract the Logged value from the Estimated value in your head. 

In the screen shot below, the estimate on the parent issue is 8 hours, and there are two sub-tasks that have a total of 7.5 hours logged on them. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 1.43.29 PM.png

We may need to go with this approach, but it'd be much more desirable to see the Remaining value and it's bar in the chart decrease as hours are logged on the sub-tasks. Possible?

Many thanks, 

Dave

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2018

Hi @Dave Hollinden,

I totally understand what you are saying there. About the best practices part, have a look at this community article on issue hierarchy and maybe consider if you really need the sub-tasks.

For a very similar use case, we use Epics with Tasks below them. To set and visualise the budget, we are using Epic Sum Up, which unlocks tracking capabilities like this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 20.24.24.png

But as mentioned in the referenced article, there's a lot more Marketplace apps that may help you close the gap.

Dave Hollinden March 27, 2018

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout. I appreciate your help. I'll check out the materials your recommended. 

Thanks, 

Dave

Goblenus October 17, 2018

@Dave Hollinden Hello!

Have you found a solution for this case?

Dave Hollinden October 17, 2018

@Goblenus No, I haven't. We went with the approach I described on Mar 27, 2018, and have learned to live with it. 

Colin Scott November 7, 2018

This is unfortunate, as the new issue view that is being forced on us in cloud has removed this sub-task roll-up of estimated/logged time on the parent. @Dave Hollinden are you having problems with the new issue view?

Dave Hollinden November 7, 2018

@Colin Scott  I'm on server, so no problems here. 

Jerry Dodge May 6, 2020

I have no such checkbox on Jira Cloud. There's only one single progress bar labeled "Time Tracking". I'm trying to not have to log time in BOTH the main task and sub tasks. 

Like Renaldo Bernard likes this
3 votes
John_Chesshir April 30, 2020

I think Dave describes a legitimate bug here.  This perfectly describes the problem with Sub-Tasks that I am seeing.

Suggest an answer