Can you create Multiple Transition screens in series per a single transition between States?

ChrisR September 18, 2019

I am trying to create a "walk through" effect for the user. So when an issue is created I would like to see an initial screen to gather basic information, after that is complete I would like to see it trigger another screen with more detailed information. Based on this information I would like to either move to the next status or one more screen asking for clarification on the previous screen. Is this possible... any ideas?

2 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

Nothing out of the box allows that. Scripting might work or there may be a plugin.  I don't see the point in triggering a second screen to gather more information when the issue is being created since you don't mention a different user entering the information. 

Not your concern why, but it would be beneficial to this help desk style ticket.

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Have not tried this myself, but I can think of two options.

1: Some addons have the ability to dynamically redraw the screen while entering data.

Look at the "Live Fields" functions in the Power Scripts app https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/43318/power-scripts-jira-script-automation?hosting=server&tab=overview 

or the Dynamic Forms for Jira https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210820/dynamic-forms-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

2: Add-on JSU had a post function "follow up transition" that can be used to execute another transition on completion of the first one. That may allow a 2nd transition screen as it runs the 2nd transition. (orther add ons can do similar transition from with in a transition as well. Pwer Scripts, Update on transition (i think))

As I said I have not tried these myself in that use case, but its an idea.

I've been looking at the "follow up Transition" from the JSU add-on but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Not entirely surprised by that. the follow up transition stuff is tricky. Is it not executing the transition, or is it running the transition but not popping up the screen. 

I'd remove the transition screen from the 2nd transition to make sure that the follow up is working correctly. Once you know it works, then add the screen back in and see if it still works, and if it pops up the 2nd screen.

ChrisR September 20, 2019

Yes the transition works but it does not use the second transition screen pop-up.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2019

You might be able to play tricks with validation. Not quiet the same thing, but similar.

You would have to have all the fields on the screen. (maybe you could use one of the addons i mentioned above to hide them. )

Then have the validator written with a condition (you can do that with JSU) that if A is set, then B must not be empty, and you can set the message to explain to the user what they need to do. 

So that will give you that "pop back up" effect. But the screen wont significantly change.

Like ChrisR likes this

Suggest an answer