Can you assign a workflow by issue type and another field?

Prash Shyam January 18, 2020

I know that the specific workflows can be created and assigned to specific issue types. However can you assign a workflow based on the issue type and another field of the issue type?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @Prash Shyam

More information would be ideal into what your use case is. You can only set workflows per issue type - however, you could customise a workflow to vary depending on a field's value. 

You could do this by using conditions - for example:

• I create a workflow with "To Do" as the first status - I then have two next options - "Dev Progress", "In Progress" - one is for technical stories, the other business stories.
  • Click on the transition, and select "Conditions" from the pop-up box
  • Press "Add Condition"

Here I can assign various conditions - such as:

• Value Field - component contains whether it's a technical or business story
  • Project Role - BA vs Developer
  • Only Reporter / Assignee - ensure only specific users can transition an issue

^ This way, you could have one workflow but different steps depending on the user or the value in a field. It's not an ideal solution but - depends on the use case :)

You'd need to be careful though, as removing a field value could end up with an issue being "stuck" in a transition, so I would suggest having a way out as a fail safe (eg. all users can transition all issues back to "To Do" from any status).

For more information on advanced workflow config, see this page.

Ste

Prash Shyam January 19, 2020

Great Stephen, perfect solution for the scenario.

Worked well with my requirement.

Much appreciated

Like # people like this
0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2020

@Prash Shyam 

The simple answer to your question is 'No'.

I am just curious, what's your use case? Why to you want to assign workflow based on another field?

Hi Veera, please refer to Stephen's solution. It works...

Like Veera likes this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Thanks @Prash Shyam 

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @Prash Shyam 

There is no option in the workflow scheme for a finer grained mapping than issue type.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-workflow-schemes-938847421.html

You will need a separate issue for each workflow you want to implement.

Depending on your problem, you may be able to use scripting or automation to conditionally move an issue to a new type. But this could be confusing.

How different would your workflows be? Have you looked transition conditions, spawning different sub-tasks?

Tom

Hi Tom, please refer to Stephen's solution. It works...

Suggest an answer