Can you add a quick filter based on Labels in Jira?

Olivia Biedenstein April 15, 2019

I am trying to add a quick filter that will hide the stories that are tied to a specific label. When I've typed in the JQL of "labels != outlier" it is not pulling the stories on the board that are associated with that query. 

When I go to search for issues and run a query in the "search for issues" tab, these stories show up. Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2019

Hello Olivia,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When you created the quick filter "labels != outlier" it was properly returning the issues with a different label than outlier, however, it was removing the issues that do not have any labels. Is that correct?

When you use the operator !=, it does not consider the Empty value, but only other valid values that are different from the specified one.

If that's the behavior you are facing, this query should work for you:

Labels != test OR labels is EMPTY

Additionally, if you want to return other issues that have the Outlier label but also have other labels, you can use the operator OR to define the other labels you want to return.

For more information about it, you can check the documentation below:

Advanced searching - operators reference

Let me know if this information helps.

10 votes
Nik Bresnick December 2, 2020

Why not add filters to backlogs so that non- engineers can use this software?

Joe Privett November 8, 2021

+1

Like # people like this
Lance Jordan January 19, 2023

Or make even engineers' lives easier. This seems like such a basic feature.

1 vote
Brian B. January 21, 2022

The above did not work for us (Jira Service Management Cloud). However, this which I found from a non Atlassian site worked.

AND (labels !='test' OR labels is EMPTY)

Lance Jordan January 19, 2023

Did you try removing the

OR labels is Empty section?

It may not be needed.  But I didn't test this myself. 

Suggest an answer