It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can you add a component to multiple projects?

Hello, we are using JIRA server 7.13.5.

We have a new component that needs to be added to over 60+ projects. Is there a way to do a bulk update? I don't have full admin rights, and our team is saying it cannot be done.

Thanks in advance.

Ana

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Ana Bolanos

Check out this link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Bulk-editing-components/qaq-p/316612 

Your team is unfortunately correct. Components are project specific and you can't bulk update that field across different projects. It is totally possible to bulk update component within a single project.

I'm sorry that this answer doesn't solve your issue, but I hope it makes it more clear.

Hello Alexander, thank you for confirming. I have project rights, not jira-admin rights.

Manual it is then!

Have a great day.

Ana

Hi Alexander, yes, I can do bulk updates. In this case, its a new one that has to be added. While I'm in the project, I remove the one we don't need. 

Thanks!

I think that @Ana Bolanoswants to add a component with the same name to every project, and that can be done, at heart is not the same component, because a component is defined in a project so those components will have different id and will be treated as different objects by jira.

Hello @fran garcia gomera  Our team uses components vertically across all teams. I know that is not the way a component is typically used. I didn't make the rules. :)

Appreciate your input. 

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Ana Bolanos 

If you don't have Jira Administrator rights then you can use REST API. There is a resource for creating a component. You still need Project Administration rights on those 60 projects.

Ravi

Thank you, I will pass this along to our JIRA admin team!

0 votes
Answer accepted

Depending on the tools and permissions you have there are some ways to do it, I can think of (for sure there are more ways to get it):

• There is a plugin called Profields that allow you to do bulk changes in jira. It includes adding components to the projects you get with a query. (It also does a lot of other things)
  • If you have script runner it could be also a good chance to make a groovy to add the components.
  • you could also do it via API 
api/2/component

all the info here : https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.4.1/?_ga=2.101929026.2133888687.1569222961-1759405604.1564487198#api/2/component-createComponent

• And finally you could do it directly in the database (not very recomendable)

If you tell me wich plugins/permissions you have maybe I could help you

Hi - I only have project admin access. But we are looking at revamping our processes, so I can include this into the proposed enhancements.

Appreciate it!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

260 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you