Can you add a component to multiple projects?

Ana Bolanos October 16, 2019

Hello, we are using JIRA server 7.13.5.

We have a new component that needs to be added to over 60+ projects. Is there a way to do a bulk update? I don't have full admin rights, and our team is saying it cannot be done.

Thanks in advance.

Ana

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2019

Hello @Ana Bolanos

Check out this link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Bulk-editing-components/qaq-p/316612 

Your team is unfortunately correct. Components are project specific and you can't bulk update that field across different projects. It is totally possible to bulk update component within a single project.

I'm sorry that this answer doesn't solve your issue, but I hope it makes it more clear.

Hello Alexander, thank you for confirming. I have project rights, not jira-admin rights.

Manual it is then!

Have a great day.

Ana

Hi Alexander, yes, I can do bulk updates. In this case, its a new one that has to be added. While I'm in the project, I remove the one we don't need. 

Thanks!

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

I think that @[deleted]wants to add a component with the same name to every project, and that can be done, at heart is not the same component, because a component is defined in a project so those components will have different id and will be treated as different objects by jira.

Ana Bolanos October 17, 2019

Hello @fran garcia gomera  Our team uses components vertically across all teams. I know that is not the way a component is typically used. I didn't make the rules. :)

Appreciate your input. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Depending on the tools and permissions you have there are some ways to do it, I can think of (for sure there are more ways to get it):

• There is a plugin called Profields that allow you to do bulk changes in jira. It includes adding components to the projects you get with a query. (It also does a lot of other things)
  • If you have script runner it could be also a good chance to make a groovy to add the components.
  • you could also do it via API 
api/2/component

all the info here : https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.4.1/?_ga=2.101929026.2133888687.1569222961-1759405604.1564487198#api/2/component-createComponent

• And finally you could do it directly in the database (not very recomendable)

If you tell me wich plugins/permissions you have maybe I could help you

Hi - I only have project admin access. But we are looking at revamping our processes, so I can include this into the proposed enhancements.

Appreciate it!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2019

Hi @Ana Bolanos 

If you don't have Jira Administrator rights then you can use REST API. There is a resource for creating a component. You still need Project Administration rights on those 60 projects.

Ravi

Thank you, I will pass this along to our JIRA admin team!

0 votes
SarahK February 8, 2022

Hey, 

Not sure if this assists but I have done this previously by:

- Creating a single ticket in a Jira project with all the components I want

- Exporting that ticket (with all fields) to CSV

- Tweaking the CSV to list all the projects I want to import that component in to (ensuring Project Name and Project Key are present as columns)

- Importing that amended CSV back in to Jira, during the Import to Project stage selecting 'Defined in CSV' option, then following the mapping section as normal during the import (so in this case mapping the Component field)

It should then create the ticket + components on all the projects you've listed. 

Worth testing it out first but use it quite frequently. It may also be handy to add a spurious label or something you can then do a filter query on after to then bulk delete if necessary. 

Hope that helps!

Sarah

Suggest an answer