It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can we restrict issue types when using linked issues

Hi Team, 

We are trying not to use Jira out of box Hierarchy Levels instead we thought to have Epics, Features, User stories and Tasks as Hierarchy Levels. Can confirm these cannot be achieved through out of box, we are using linked issues ( using relates to and relates by). One thing which i am looking into, when I create EPICS can i restrict to show only features in linked issues search field. This cannot be done through Jira out of box features can this be implemented using any Add-ons ?

Please do let us know if this functionality can be achieved.

Thanks,

VJ 

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Contour Plug In

Not that I know of - you'd need an add-on such as Extended Schemes for Jira

Personally, I think using linked issues can get confusing and you're limited when doing reporting as they're not parent / child relationships. You could name them that (parent of / child of) but they're treated as sibling relationships.

I would advise getting an add-on to allow for additional levels in the hierarchy - such as Portfolio

Ste

Hi Stephen, 

Yes agree to your point, but the issue with Portfolio is that any level you can have is on top of EPIC and stories and Tasks would be at the same level, but the way we are looking into is ( EPIC is at the top level) followed by Features which has user stories followed by Tasks under stories. 

Can you brief on reporting limitations if we follow the hierarchy level which I mentioned over there.

Thanks,

VJ 

Stephen Wright Community Leader Oct 04, 2019

Hi VJ,

For tasks below stories, an option would be to rename sub-tasks to task? Or add an additional sub-task type?

For Epics above Features it's a little trickier - you could consider an app such as this SAFe translator - or do it yourself using instructions such as this answer 

And if you want to combine both needs - you could consider an app like Structure?

We've had the linked issues approach in an instance before - we just found creating the reports and JQL more arduous because it's not using a hierarchical approach. Plus it was a little more difficult to get reports with subordinates to show appropriately.

Ste

Hi Stephen, 

Really appreciate your responses.

1. Agree with story to sub-task which even we are considering as an alternative 

2. Browsed through SAFe Translator renaming Epics to Features would help ( Features-> stories-> Sub-Tasks ), but how about actual EPIC which is parent of feature ( Should I go for Portfolio in this case ?) 

3. On Structures, how do set I hierarchy ( I cannot manually create structures every time i add issues ( features, stories and sub-tasks) and hence I need to depend on Generators to automatically create structure [ EPICS-> FEATURES-> STORIES-> SUB-TASKS] in this case what would be the option apart from Linked Issues, as I was able to achieve this hence the question raised on how to restrict issue type on Linked issues so that I can link only features under epics and stories under features. Any idea on this ??

Thanks,

VJ 

Stephen Wright Community Leader Oct 04, 2019

Hi VJ,

There's actually a few options for (2):

• Create an issue type you set above the "Epic-Feature" with a similar Epic name - such as "Portfolio Epic" or "SAFe Epic"
  • If you create a translation, include translating Feature > Epic as you're doing for Epic > Feature

As an alternative you could try:

• Create a new issue type - "Portfolio Epic"
  • Place this above Feature in Portfolio
  • Move Story to the same level as Epic 

^ I haven't tested this, but you should then be able to use Parent Link to create the hierarchy you want. It just means things like the Epics Panel on Scrum Board wouldn't work - you'd need the translation to consider using these.

For (3) - I've not got much experience using Structure - but there looks to be a method to set a default structure - see this Confluence page from their help guide.

For restricting issue types based on linked issues - as I said previously you'd need an app such as Extended Schemes for Jira

Ste

Hi, VJ. I can speak to the Structure for Jira aspects of things here. @Stephen Wright is right -- this is a very common use case for Structure. In fact, I am in San Diego for SAFe summit as a type and we are here because of the large number of Jira users who use Structure to implement their SAFe hierarchies (whether it is SAFe by the book or some modified version of SAFe). I.e., this is akin to what you are trying to do and Structure allows you to define any hierarchy you wish.

If you do choose to use Structure, using Generators is the right/best way to do things in your use case. Generators will help you to enforce the link-type rules you are trying to enforce if/when new issues are added via the structures you create. However, if the new issues are added outside of the Structure UI (in the Jira UI for example) we cannot control which link-type will be used.  One of the other methods Ste suggests will have to be used.  

I can add one more possibility for you to explore.  A scripting tool ScriptRunner or Power Scripts can probably help you ensure the "right" link-types are used in your hierarchy (in a Structure or not-Structure scenario).

I hope this helps.

-dave [ALM Works, the makers of Structure]

Hi Dave,

As discussed earlier, I am fine with using Generators but my question is related to Linked issues where in to form a structure using Generator you need issues to be linked by some Link type but the issue over here is, since we are using Features instead of Epics [EPICS-> FEATURES-> STORIES-> SUB-TASKS] going against Jira out of box [EPICS-> STORIES-> SUB TASKS]  can this cause report limitation which includes Agile reports.

Going by this, I believe we need to use E2F Translator so that we can have FEATURES-> STORIES-> SUB-TASKS and use linked issues to link to EPICS[ new issue type] and then use structures to show progress. Does this make sense ? 

Let me know if the usecase is not clear so that I could provide more information.

Thanks,

VJ 

I believe I understand your use case, VJ.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak specifically to the report limitations you mention (I assume you are referring to out-of-the-box Jira reports?). That said, I can confirm that I often hear the same or similar comments from our customers so I presume your statement is correct. I think you are on the right track.

Let us know how you make out.  

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

865 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you