Can we install custom plugin to licensed jira?

NithinManmohan September 8, 2013

I am creating a jira plugin for displaying build log in jira. I have installed a licensed for the project i am working on. My question is, can a custom plugin be installed to a licensed jira? Please let me asap, thanks in advance..

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2013

Yes, you can install plugins in Jira.

However, some organisations that host Jira for people may not allow it. OnDemand is Atlassian's hosting service and they only allow a limited list of plugins to be installed. Other providers may vary.

NithinManmohan September 8, 2013

so u mean to say, it wont expose all of the modules required for me to develop the plugin? I am new to Jira, so i am just trying to understand.. So would have me prefer write a wrapper or a plugin in my case?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2013

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking here.

I think you need to separate the processes out. First, you asked about installing a plugin in a licenced Jira. The answer to if you can install it is in general, yes, but if you are using a hosting company to run your system, they might not allow it.

Writing a plugin is a separate process. Most developers use the Atlassian plugin SDK (at the very least, it's a good starting point for new plugin developers). It has all the build tools and settings you need to create a basic plugin, which allows you to concentrate on the code. In it's most simple usage, you run a script to create a plugin skeleton which has all the core dependencies sorted for you. Then you add your code to it. Then you can run a second script that will build the plugin, fetch a development copy of Jira, run it, and install your plugin, so you can see your work straight away.

Once you've got the compiled plugin, you can install it in any Jira you've got admin rights to.

Suggest an answer