Can we have bulk creation of User Stories & linked sub-task created based on a custom field in Epic?

Omkar Rane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 14, 2020

Hello All,

We want to have an implementation where in we just create Epic and based on specific category mentioned in custom field, it has to create a set of User Stories and linked sub-tasks. We can use cloning, which is the option we are considering, however we want to explore if there can be a best efficient way to achieve our mentioned objective.

Thanks,

Omkar Rane

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hello @Omkar Rane

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, it seems you are looking for a way to create a specific set of issues based on the value selected for a custom field of an Epic. Is that correct?

If that set of issues follows a common structure like a template, I believe that Automation for Jira Lite app can help you achieve this automatically, without needing to manually clone the issues:

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 12.30.55.png

As you can see in the screenshot above, you can easily create an automation rule that:

1 - Will trigger when you update the custom field on the Epic

2 - Will check which value as selected for the custom field

3 - Will create all the issues and sub-tasks you need based on the value of the custom field 

4 - Optionally, you can set the fields you want with determined values and linking the issues as you need

P.S: The mentioned app has 300 free executions per month, so you will have costs if you have a lower number of executions per month.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer