Can users that have been mentioned in issues be queried by JQL?

Since the latest 5.1.3 JIRA upgrade the @mention utility has been improved considerably.

I would like to know if there exists any JQL instruction to query in which issues I (or any other user) was specifically "mentioned"?

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi Jaques,

it does work with JQL - here for example is a JQL which I use to provide Users with a list of Issues where they have been mentioned during the last 7 days:

(summary ~ currentUser() OR description ~ currentUser() OR comment ~ currentUser()) and updatedDate >= -7d

Thanks Christian!

This does indeed do the job!!

• (summary ~ "username" OR description ~ "username"  OR comment ~ "username") and updatedDate >= -7d

Very helpful, thanks!

The statement from OP can never work since neither currentUser() nor currentLogin() support the text search operator "~".

The text search can only be made with literals. Cannot really understand the technical reason behind this limitation though.

See currentUser()

strange, I just ran it and it worked as expected. Perhaps it behaves differently based on your Jira installation. 

hi Mirek,

thanks for mentioning this, but I knew this already :)

I just thought that if they add this cool feature that there should be a way to filter for issues where you've been mentioned as they might be issues where you're none of the regular roles (assignee, reporter, watcher,...) that already exist and for which you can filter.

I found this issue talking about this feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27594 and as mentioned there (I've also tried in my environment) filtering for @mentions doesn't work.

Let's wait if some more people vote on the forementioned issue to get it implemented.

regards,

Jacques.

How do I change current user to another user in the system for this: 

• (summary ~ currentUser() OR description ~ currentUser() OR comment ~ currentUser()) and updatedDate >= -7d

Not sure why I am having such a hard time! smile

Username = katiethebeau

(summary ~ katiethebeau OR description ~ katiethebeau OR comment ~ katiethebeau) and updatedDate >= -7d

Hi Jacques,

As I know mentioning is only used to share the issue with other users (the same behavior like using Share button) and send a notification. It is not possible to achieve a search who was mentioned in a particular issue.

You can only search for issues that a particular user is watching or voting using:

* watcher

* voter

like for example..

watcher = someone, watcher = currentUser()

If you want that kind of feature you can create a new request. For more information about how Atlassian implement New Features, please see the Implementation of New Features Policy.

I hope that will help

Regards,

Mirek

Hi all,

I am using the following JQL to create a filter on @mentions:

comment ~ currentUser() and updatedDate >= -30d

It works, however, when I've gone and deleted the comments I was mentioned in (they were for testing the filter) - they still show up in the search! Is the JQL searching the history and not the comments that actually exist? Is there another JQL that will only display the items I'm still actively mentioned in?

I'm using JIRA OnDemand (6.2 as of right now I think?).. and this does not work as I expected

I expect to get a list of issues where I have been mentioned using @ + myname

However, I do get a list of issues where my name has been mentioned as text in a comment, but not as an actual @mention

Anyone having this same problem?' What is the JQL query for this?'

I tried the JQL: comment ~ currentUser()

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,156 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot