Can the Resolution field be optional during multiple transition screens?

Joe Doherty November 24, 2014

We have several teams that are sharing a workflow, but one team wants to fill in the Resolution field during an earlier transition than another team (who will fill out this field before moving to "Complete"). Is there any way to have multiple points at which a resolution can be chosen? Because this field is required any time its placed on a screen, I'm not sure how to make it optional at an earlier transition (or edit screen).

I have already looked at the following thread about Resolution field being required:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/26164

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2014

I'm afraid not.

The field isn't actually "required" in the sense that other fields are.  Most required fields are an explicit "this is required, you can't commit this data without it".  Resolution is not required at all, but it doesn't have a "leave me blank" option, so as soon as you put it on a screen, it is filled in.  I suspect that if you hacked the field code that renders it so that you did have an empty option, you'd find it works the same way as all the other select lists (and then everyone would have to use a validator to make it mandatory on all the resolve transitions)

It's a bit of a hangover from very early versions of Jira, but there's no way to change the behaviour without coding.

The only way I've gone around it is to have explicit "set resolution" transitions for when it's needed earlier in the workflow.

Suggest an answer