Can't set dates far in future (after 2038?) in Jira

manjushree zope August 11, 2020

Screenshot, attempting to set date far in future always revert back to 1900 something (Both before and after)

Before:

After:

2 answers

0 votes
Ganga Bopaiah October 8, 2021

I need answers for this too

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

It's the same answer as already given.

Ganga Bopaiah October 8, 2021

Nope, The problem isn't with the year 2038 alone, it is with any year beyond 2029. if I set the year as 2030 and save it, the system displays it in yy format by default and it shows up as 30 for the year. But you were to check the date it is actually storing it as 1930 and not 2030.

jira lacks the precision to store the year 30 as 2030 instead of 1930. and this bug is happening for every future year beyond 2029.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

So not related to the original question!  I would raise this as a new question and give a bit more detail on exactly what you are entering and what happens.

Ganga Bopaiah October 11, 2021

Looks like it is reported as bug here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-31291

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

Hmm.  This may actually be a problem with your OS, database or Java.

2038 is the year that 32 bit Unix clocks will overflow at.  This is because Unix uses a date/time system that is just the number of seconds elapsed since an "epoch date" of the first of January 1970. 

It's fine for most dates, but when we get to (something like 18th January) 2038, this variable cannot hold the number any more.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem for a much better synopsis

So, when you put in a date after the end date, systems still on 32 bit dates can't cope with the number and either revert to 0 or lose the seconds that fill it up.

I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do about this, other than check that your OS, database and version of Java are all capable of working with dates past 2038 and then raising a bug with Atlassian if those three are all ok.

manjushree zope August 11, 2020

Thank you for your quick response.

Like Prashant Mali likes this

Suggest an answer