Can't seem to map CSV into key Jira fields(status, assignee, etc)

I am attempting to import about 800 issues using the CSV import to Cloud Jira/Jira Agile.  I have looked at the help documentation regarding the fields I can use and how to use them, and the behavior I'm seeing from JIRA is not matching with what the documentation says, as far as I can tell.

I have created a number of custom fields, and I can map those to JIRA just fine.

Here are the fields I am having difficulty importing to Jira:

• Date Created - Not available to map (*1)
  • Status - Not available to map (*1)
  • Assignee - Not available to map to (although my "View Field Configuration" screen shows it) (*1)
  • Project Name - Not available to map (*2)
  • Project Key - Not available to map (*2)
  • Comment - Not available to map.  I have configured my csv to contain multiple columns named Comment, so I can create several (child) comment records with my new Issue (*2)
  • Component - This field maps, but the importer will not create new values (I have over 100 components I am referring to in my issues, they all fail in in my import tests)

The help documentation I am referring to is:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Creating+issues+using+the+CSV+importer

(*1) - I am doing this according to the instructions in the section Tips for importing CSV data into JIRA fields

(*2)  - I am doing this according to the instructions in the section Importing issues into multiple JIRA projects

Thanks in advance for the help.  I am really struggling here and welcome any sage advice.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hello Doug,

it may be confusing, but we currently have two CSV Importers.

1. Bulk Create - "Import issues from CSV" available under Issues top menu - this one is meant for Bulk-creating issues and is available for non-administrators. As it's exposed to such users, we had to limit available options, for example changing status.
  2. CSV Importer - "Import from external system" available from System configuration - this one is meant for import/migration use cases. It's only for administrators, so we allow here all type of fields and operations. You should use this one - you'll find here all of the fields that you have listed.

We are still working on our documentation to clearly state the differences between those features. 

This is ridiculous. Has the documentation been updated?

Hi @Przemyslaw Borkowski , Have you added any new documentation on this issue? I'm trying to find out exactly which fields are available for the Bulk Create tool (accessed from the top menu). A number of our custom fields seem to be unavailable there, and I can't figure out if/how the options map to our JIRA permissions. I need to allow one of our non-admins to bulk upload tickets, but we're currently blocked by this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tarun Sapra Community Champion Feb 22, 2017

I hope this is documented soon, I was quite confused as to why some fields are missing. It's better to make sure only people with admin rights can perform this operation so that they can see all the fields.

Apparently the documentation is still not present regarding the import of issues for normal users and admins.

Indeed, stumbled accross the same problem.  It would have been nice if it was documented correctly.  Would save a lot of time...

I lost almost half a day to trying to figure out how to map the comment field (after giving up on mapping issue key which it turns out I can also do. Also the admin tool doesn't have features like validate.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

216 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you